Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2008 21:00

Faulty Dead I/O board

This post is regarding the faults with my XPS 630 fans and lights. Graphics card and sound card as I emailed them a few times about my problems over the last week to xps premium support.

1/3 Phone Call 

Received by dell early this morning.

The rep asked me about the problems I was having with the fans and lights.

I said to him that the fans are 100% on boot and all lights are off.

i said to him everything worked fine with the fans and lights before I updated the video driver 175.19 from nvidia website and when I rebooted the fans were very load and me automatically thinking they are on 100% even though there is nothing on the pc to say they were it was just a guess as them being very very load. There is also no case icon in the NVIDIA Control Panel (Device Settings) – for that reason I am not able to change the settings back to default. I explained what I did to try and resolve the problem by resetting the jumper on the I/O board but didn’t solve the problem – I guessed that the board had died but a Dell rep disagreed and said it was a software issue. I explained to him that I had downloaded a fix for the ESA with instructions on dell forums but he said there currently isn’t one available…mmmmmmmmmmm

Part of the conversation

Me: “So you’re not going to send out an engineer to check the system?”

Rep: no and told me that he would notify me by email once a fix is available.

Me: “So I have to put up with the sound of these fans until a fix is available?”

Rep: yes due to it being a software issue and not hardware.

Me: “What if it is not software based?”

Rep: we will send an engineer to come and have a look when and if the software hotfix does not work..

And then it came to the part about video card and sound card and he said that they were unable to replace a video card that did not play a particular game properly (crysis).

I said its not just a game that has lower frame rates than an ATI 3870 512mb card its also very very hot while just browsing the web and the card being on idle at 110c 114c  on the 2 cores. (9800GX2)..And when I do play the game called Crysis I can play for about 20 minutes and then the whole game and pc will just lock up and freeze even only on medium setting at a low resolution.

He then said I will put you through to my manager. I was on hold. (Static)... I was waiting for about 5 minutes then realised that he must of put the phone down on me…

2/3 Phone Call 

2 minutes later I received another phone call regarding the 100%FAN/LED issue and graphics card and sound card the rep agreed to replace the graphics card and sound card after he had took control of the system via remote assistance (DELL CONNECT). He explained that the engineer would check system for any problems when he comes out to replace the hardware this guy was very helpful and understanding but also said about the hotfix for the ESA was not available yet and hw would tell me by email when the hotfix is available, even though he had already said that an engineer would check the computer when he come to replace the hardware.

3/3 phone call 

Later this afternoon I had a call from Dell Customer Relations asking me what problems I was having with my xps630 pc. After explaining the video card problems he told me that they can’t do anything about the card as they aren’t responsible for the games that do not function properly?! …(not again)

I said the card is faulty (overheating)” Rep repeated that he couldn’t do anything about the performance of games.

I also mentioned that I was asked to do tests on the card through dell diagnostics on an email and did so and reported that there were faults found and I reported the fault codes.

“The card is 110c 114c on both cores. On idle ...the fan on the card kicks in every 30 seconds for 5 seconds and its annoying…

Rep said he would ask customer support to deal with the case. And I said well it was already being dealt with …what’s going on and why are you now refusing to help me. I will have no choice but to take this further.

He again repeated and said customer support will deal with it…have a good day Mr. XXXXXXX

Then he hung up before I could even get another word in and he didn’t even mention the fans, lights and sound card.

You can understand my confusion and frustration due to the hours of phone calls and system problems I was having – now I have no choice but to seek legal advice as I have a XPS premium support warranty but despite Dell refuse to even attempt to fix any problems whatsoever. I feel I have spoke to very foul and unprofessional phone reps that do nothing but refuse to help a long time customer…

Any views or suggestions will be extremely appreciated.

Thank you for your time in reading this post.

KarbonKopy is this better for you …???

And sorry for the repeat posts as I don’t know how that happened. 

Thanks

Message Edited by KILLSWITCH 73 on 08-15-2008 01:31 AM
Message Edited by KILLSWITCH 73 on 08-15-2008 01:32 AM

5 Posts

do you know a compatible mother board for a Dimension 5150?

1 Rookie

• 

105 Posts

Hi Karbon Kopy,

I cannot disagree with you more. Have you had to contact dell North American Technical Support lately? Im still trying to figure out where in the Philipines, India or Panama the North American territory is.

I have been using Dell computers since 1996. The support over the last 5 years has been some of the worst experiences i have ever had over the phone with any company.

CLearly this person has issues with his computer and the support/Customer Service folks are unable to assist him due to several reasons.

1) they dont understand what you say and what you mean. English is not their native language. Dont blame them, blame dell for employing them to support you. They, in my experience, dont seem to really give a hoot about your problem. They hear angry americans all day and seem to turn it off. I suspect they are rated by call volume per shift or hour. I have had them hang up on me as soon as i tried to explain a complicated support issue. They dont want the hassle.

2) Dell doesn't exactly empower them to help you unless they can "prove" a problem has a hardware cause. I have had several hardware service calls cancelled on me by someone after the service was arranged because the backend folks didn't feel the support rep did a thorough enough job.

I read about all the problems with the 630 and have steered away from it. I have a 720. It crashed on me twice in the last few weeks. Power shut off. So i convinced the ts rep to send a power supply. They sent a refurbished one. Post install that one makes an electrical static sound. So i called back again and was assured by the ts rep that the part, while refurbished, was new. I said ????. you have to be kidding me. The scratches on the power supply clearly indicated it had been installed in someone else's computer. He also stated that refurbished parts have been tested and are assured to work correctly. I asked him to remind me why i was calling.....oh yeah because the aforementioned refurbished part was not working correctly.

He paused and then stated that he would send another one. I have to laugh. He could hardly understand me. Again, not his fault, but it is my problem. I said that to him directly and even offered to draw him a picture since he clearly could not understand what i was telling him.

So, take it easy on folks who post here, dont drink the dell cool aid. They do make some of the most cost competitive/perfomance computers out there. However their choice to cheapen the support side of their operation is having a negative affect on their customers.

And yes, sometimes you will have to sue to get the service you are entitled to. Hopefully it wont go that far.

When i purchased my 720 it was advertised with exclusive north american support. it was for the first few months. then Dell changed it. Can i sue over this. probably. WIll it do anything. probably not.

XPS720 loaded, XPSM1730 X9000, XPSM1730 T7800

-Digital Wiz

MCSE, IT Consultant

26 Posts

A few things here: 1) Never tell them you are going to sue or are looking for legal adive, because the support is going to stop right there. 2) That was almost impossible to read. I suggest going through and rewriting the post. * EDIT * For VCraig :)
Message Edited by KarbonKopy on 08-15-2008 11:09 AM

2.1K Posts

August 14th, 2008 22:00

@KarbonKopy wrote:
A few things here: 1) Never tell them you are going to sue or are looking for legal adive, because the support is going to stop right there. 2) That was almost impossible to read. I suggest going through and correcting the many spelling and grammar errors and reposting because I doubt your going to get much help.

Speaking of grammar....make that you're, which is a contraction of "you are", not "your" ... :smileywink:

201 Posts

August 14th, 2008 22:00

It is pretty clear what the OP is saying, and you guys are complaining about his grammar?  If you are not going to give advice please don't post anything.  K? good. thanks.

Dude, Dell technical support is the worst in the industry in my opinion (Chris not included).  If you get frustrated enough, just get a refund for your system and chalk it up as a learning experience.  Some people rely totally on technical support for help with computers.  If you are one of these people (persons? someone please correct me) do not count on Dell technical support as your only support option.  If you do, you will end up frustrated.  You can get lucky and talk to someone who knows something that could help, but its rare in my experience. 

Advice in your particular situation: If you cannot send the system back, then keep calling until you get what you want.  It shouldnt be a problem for them to replace your MIO board.  In fact, I believe that if you send a PM to Chris, he can help you out with that.

I believe you already have, but make sure you have followed Chris' advice on updating the MIO firmware, the system BIOS, and the Nvidia software/drivers.  However, I do believe your problems are hardware related since many 630 users are not having the problems that you are.  Heck, I am using BIOS 1.0.2, and MIO firmware version 20 and not having the problems that you are.  The problem is hardware, and I would bet it is the MIO board.  I think Chris would agree, but I will let him speak for himself.

August 14th, 2008 23:00

@foehammer25 wrote:

It is pretty clear what the OP is saying, and you guys are complaining about his grammar?  If you are not going to give advice please don't post anything.  K? good. thanks.

Dude, Dell technical support is the worst in the industry in my opinion (Chris not included).  If you get frustrated enough, just get a refund for your system and chalk it up as a learning experience.  Some people rely totally on technical support for help with computers.  If you are one of these people (persons? someone please correct me) do not count on Dell technical support as your only support option.  If you do, you will end up frustrated.  You can get lucky and talk to someone who knows something that could help, but its rare in my experience. 

Advice in your particular situation: If you cannot send the system back, then keep calling until you get what you want.  It shouldnt be a problem for them to replace your MIO board.  In fact, I believe that if you send a PM to Chris, he can help you out with that.

I believe you already have, but make sure you have followed Chris' advice on updating the MIO firmware, the system BIOS, and the Nvidia software/drivers.  However, I do believe your problems are hardware related since many 630 users are not having the problems that you are.  Heck, I am using BIOS 1.0.2, and MIO firmware version 20 and not having the problems that you are.  The problem is hardware, and I would bet it is the MIO board.  I think Chris would agree, but I will let him speak for himself.

thank you foehammer25

oh yea i do agree with the hardware problem.

to be honest with you i dont want a refund as this xps 630 system is a replacement from a xps 420 system that got damaged and the 630xps was a great upgrade (due to a part no longer in 420) ..well a very good upgrade untill the problems started..

and if i get a refund ..which is what they did already offer this morning and me kindly refused.

(i think this is what made them get angry with me) becuase i refused the refund !! and they aslo said to chose another build once i get refund..and me saying that with the refund i would not be able to buy a xps630 with..

as all i want is what is on the 12 month xps premuim warranty..and that for problems to be fixed..as becuase it was a brand new build my premuim warranty started from scratch..so what harm am i doing asking for the pc to be fixed ??? none...this is against the law and if it is not fixed then i will not have no choice but to seek help in the matter..

and im also living in the UK and trading standards would have a field day with this..

thanks again

Message Edited by KILLSWITCH 73 on 08-15-2008 01:48 AM

August 15th, 2008 11:00

well perhaps my last post was a positive one and someone noticed it...as i just got off the phone to a very nice gentleman from dell cutomer support who comfirmed that i have a faulty I/O board as he took control of my computer and could not get it working...

so now i have an engineer booked for next monday or tuesday to my swap over my graphics card and replace my I/O board...

for some reason they wont replace my sound card as he said the screach of death was software issue's with creative and vista....

killy

30 Posts

August 15th, 2008 13:00

It is not "against the law" to not have it fixed, under uk consumer law Dell have to put you back to your original position, this could be a repair or a refund, unfortunatly you have no choice in what they choose.

I would have a chat with consumer direct 08454 04 05 06 if you get nowhere with the fix , or a cheaper call option is listed below

Consumer Direct is designed to operate from our 0845 number, so we cannot guarantee connectivity, but under many circumstances these landline numbers will work correctly.

East of England: 01438 737460
East Midlands: 01522 563000
London: 020 8799 9200
North-East: 01642 495600
North-West: 0203 1035165
Scotland: 01851 822401
South East: 01622 626520
South West: 01209 720333
Wales (English language): 02920 367800
Wales (Welsh language): 02920 367801
West Midlands: 02476 786610
Yorkshire and the Humber: 0113 201 3670

Message Edited by deanos102 on 08-15-2008 09:22 AM

72 Posts

August 15th, 2008 14:00

@killswitch 73 wrote:

well perhaps my last post was a positive one and someone noticed it...as i just got off the phone to a very nice gentleman from dell cutomer support who comfirmed that i have a faulty I/O board as he took control of my computer and could not get it working...

so now i have an engineer booked for next monday or tuesday to my swap over my graphics card and replace my I/O board...

for some reason they wont replace my sound card as he said the screach of death was software issue's with creative and vista....

killy

Glad things are looking up for you. Sometimes you just have to find the right person to help!

26 Posts

August 15th, 2008 14:00

Simply pointing out that telling them your going to seek legal advice or sue is the worst thing you could do with support and not going to get you far. His original post was very, very hard to read and it would (IMO) help him greatly to clean it up so a Dell support rep could better help him if/when they came upon the post. I'm very glad someone contacted you about the issue KILL, and I hope it solves the problem! I've never had much of a issue with Dell support, they have always been professional and prompt in their service of my business and personal hardware and I would expect no less. Keep us posted.
Message Edited by KarbonKopy on 08-15-2008 03:57 PM

2.1K Posts

August 15th, 2008 15:00

@KarbonKopy wrote:
Simply pointing out that telling them your going to seek legal advice or sue is the wrost thing you could do with support and not going to get you far. His original post was very, very hard to read and it would (IMO) help him greatly to clean it up so a Dell support rep could better help him if/when they came upon the post. I'm very glad someone contacted you about the issue KILL, and I hope it solves the problem! I've never had much of a issue with Dell support, they have always been professional and promt in their service of my business and personal hardware and I woudl expect no less. Keep us posted.
Message Edited by KarbonKopy on 08-15-2008 10:59 AM

Not to labor the point...but your post could have used some "cleaning up" as well. And if my reply irritates you....keep this in mind the next time you feel the urge to critique a post composition as you did with the OP. Point being, we're all subject to spelling and/or grammar errors - and particularly those who post here where english is not their first language. :smileywink:

26 Posts

August 15th, 2008 15:00

@digitalwiz wrote:

Hi Karbon Kopy,

I cannot disagree with you more. Have you had to contact dell North American Technical Support lately? Im still trying to figure out where in the Philipines, India or Panama the North American territory is.

-Digital Wiz

MCSE, IT Consultant

Yeah, I do about once a month at least. I think where we differ is that I use the text chat to open and start support tickets rather than the phone. I've had some issues with support, but for the most part it's been pretty smooth sailing. Myself and my team support over 300 differant computers or so, and our failure rate is pretty low, but maybe we just get lucky.

26 Posts

August 15th, 2008 19:00

@VCraig wrote:

@KarbonKopy wrote:
Simply pointing out that telling them your going to seek legal advice or sue is the wrost thing you could do with support and not going to get you far. His original post was very, very hard to read and it would (IMO) help him greatly to clean it up so a Dell support rep could better help him if/when they came upon the post. I'm very glad someone contacted you about the issue KILL, and I hope it solves the problem! I've never had much of a issue with Dell support, they have always been professional and promt in their service of my business and personal hardware and I woudl expect no less. Keep us posted.
Message Edited by KarbonKopy on 08-15-2008 10:59 AM

Not to labor the point...but your post could have used some "cleaning up" as well. And if my reply irritates you....keep this in mind the next time you feel the urge to critique a post composition as you did with the OP. Point being, we're all subject to spelling and/or grammar errors - and particularly those who post here where english is not their first language. :smileywink:

Not in the least, unfortunatly Opera doesn't include a default spell checker, so I usually have a few problems in there with how fast I type. I wasn't blasting him at all, I was simply putting the fact out there that a well thought out reply would be much better than a quick angry message. I'm not above making errors myself (as you're quick to point out) but I was only trying to help him, and it came across wrong. 

Message Edited by KarbonKopy on 08-15-2008 03:37 PM

No problem karboncopy ..

the reason why my original post was bad grammar and not understandable to your level is because my head was like scrambled egg.

I was angry,frustrated and i could not get my words out fast enough on paper and so i didn't read the post back to myself..I suppose it was a big post to understand and i hope i have now put that right.

To be honest i should of spealt a lot better having got a C in GCSE English grammar in high school and should of posted better and aslo my keyboard don't help matters as i have a habit of not looking what i am typing...

and thanks for the up about customer support...yes today was a better day and have now eased my concerns a great deal.

killy

Message Edited by KILLSWITCH 73 on 08-15-2008 09:28 PM

26 Posts

@killswitch 73 wrote:

No problem karboncopy ..

the reason why my original post was bad grammar and not understandable to your level is because my head was like scrambled egg.

I was angry,frustrated and i could not get my words out fast enough on paper and so i didn't read the post back to myself..I suppose it was a big post to understand and i hope i have now put that right.

To be honest i should of spealt a lot better having got a C in GCSE English grammar in high school and should of posted better and aslo my keyboard don't help matters as i have a habit of not looking what i am typing...

and thanks for the up about customer support...yes today was a better day and have now eased my concerns a great deal.

killy

Message Edited by KILLSWITCH 73 on 08-15-2008 09:28 PM

Sorry we had the misunderstanding Kill, it looks like it clearly came across wrong man. I've dealt a lot with custoemr service and issues and can tell from what I've been through what does/does not work. I'm super glad to hear your problems are getting solved!!
Message Edited by KarbonKopy on 08-15-2008 03:35 PM
No Events found!