Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2007 04:00

Find all dell service tag in my network

Hi,

I’ve more then 200 dell computers and i want to find the service tag for every machine.

my question is:

do you have a tool that i can run against my machine to retrieve that service tag from remote machine?

or do you have another solution for me, beside go to every machine and get the service tag.

1.3K Posts

January 16th, 2007 21:00

I do know there are inventory software to tract PC,s but I don't think you can inventory by Dell Service Tag.  I know in Active Directory, SMS can poll cpu, bios info, but not read the settings of the BIOS where the Service Tag is located. FYI.

2 Intern

• 

2.4K Posts

January 17th, 2007 00:00

service tag is just the serial number so i don't think it's THAT difficult...

290 Posts

January 17th, 2007 02:00

In a command window enter: "wmic /node:(computer name) csproduct get identifyingnumber" without the quotes. This returns the service tag for an individual PC. Provided all computers are on-line you could export a computer list from the Active Directory into notepad, place a comma after each name and paste that in for the computer name. This will return all your service tag numbers.

Marc

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

January 17th, 2007 08:00

Thx.
i found a nother way to do that, by WMI script

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
&"{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colSMBIOS = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_SystemEnclosure")
For Each objSMBIOS in colSMBIOS
Wscript.Echo "Service Tag: " & objSMBIOS.SerialNumber
Next

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 4th, 2012 12:00

Your link to malware is not welcome.  You dont need anything except a windows command prompt to get the service tag.  Or belarc Advisor.

To get the Dell service tag via command line or from a remote computer, execute the following on the command line:

wmic bios get serialnumber

63 Posts

May 4th, 2012 13:00

Seems like a very old thread but I've found a very useful utility to get the service tags of all dell computers in a network. I hope this will be useful for anyone who wants to do that now.

Thanks Nanosani!  That is a new one on me and a unique tool to have. All the other methods I have seen before require writing a script or installing junk like Belarc on individual workstations. This thing lets you enter an ip address of a particular machine and reports back the tag number.  I suppose there are people that will install something without thinking or reading and then are surprised but the related software it installed, but the related article points out that it is preferable to do a custom installation so you don't install the useless toolbar or change your browsers home page... all avoided with three clicks. Nice to find an interesting post about something new and different!

1 Message

May 4th, 2012 14:00

Hi SpeedStep. Can you kindly tell me which is the link to malware? I would be thankful to you if you can guide me to the right direction..

1 Message

October 24th, 2013 14:00

The syntax above is a little buggy.  here's the actual code:

wmic /node:"DSMOOKLER-PC" csproduct get identifyingnumber

Any spaces or special characters and your computer name will require quotes.  if the computer name is all letters, you can ignore the quotes.

1 Message

December 9th, 2013 12:00

Does anyone know a command where you can enter the asset tag and get the computer name or IP address of the host machine? The reverse of the above command. Let me know. Thanks

1 Message

February 23rd, 2014 17:00

I am using an unsupported OS so the PRC calls and any other WINDOWS call is out of the question so is there a solution to scan IPs and get the information from the BIOS?

The tools would work great in the installation of DELL windows computers that I do on times but I use Linux OS so......

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 24th, 2014 10:00

IP addresses and scanning have nothing to do with BIOS WMI or DMI Interface.

In Ubuntu

http://linux.dell.com/repo/community/ubuntu/

If you've installed OpenManage Server Administrator, 
"omreport chassis info" will give you the service 
tag.  

Get DELL Service Tag on remote Linux system

Login to the Linux remote-host using SSH.

Use dmidecode on Linux to get service tag as shown below.

[remote-host]# dmidecode -s system-serial-number
ABCDEF1

1 Message

July 13th, 2017 08:00

wmic /node:192.168.1.1 /user:Domain\User /password:Password bios list brief /format:list >> /c:result.txt

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 17th, 2017 07:00

the wmic bios get serialnumber command call the Win32_BIOS wmi class

and get the value of the SerialNumber property,

which retrieves the serial number of the BIOS Chip of your system.

does not work very well on current Windows 10 machines.

achieve same goal with PowerShell

For Locale computer:

Get-WmiObject win32_bios

For Remote computer:

Get-WmiObject win32_bios -computername PC001

This will provide you with detail information about BIOS on the local/remote machine:

SMBIOSVersion

Manufacturer

Name

Serial Number

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176860.aspx

So you open a command prompt  CMD.EXE

Then type powershell

Then type the command.

Get-WmiObject win32_bios

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2013/12/11/use-powershell-to-create-remote-session/

For a simple configuration on a single remote machine, entering a remote Windows PowerShell session is the answer. To enter a remote Windows PowerShell session, use the Enter-PSSession cmdlet to create an interactive remote Windows PowerShell session on a target machine. If you do not supply credentials, the remote session impersonates your current sign-in info.

The following output illustrates connecting to a remote computer named dc1. When the connection is established, the Windows PowerShell prompt changes to include the name of the remote system. The Set-Location (sl is an alias) cmdlet changes the working directory on the remote system to c:\. Next, the Get-WmiObject cmdlet retrieves the BIOS information on the remote system. The Exit command exits the remote session, and the Windows PowerShell prompt returns to the default.

PS C:\> Enter-PSSession -ComputerName dc1
[dc1]: PS C:\Users\Administrator\Documents> sl c:\
[dc1]: PS C:\> gwmi win32_bios

SMBIOSBIOSVersion : A01
Manufacturer      : Dell Computer Corporation
Name              : Default System BIOS
SerialNumber      : 9HQ1S21
Version           : DELL   - 6

[dc1]: PS C:\> exit
PS C:\>

The good thing is that when using the Windows PowerShell transcript tool via Start-Transcript, the transcript tool captures output from the remote Windows PowerShell session and output from the local session. Indeed, all commands typed appear in the transcript. The following commands illustrate beginning a transcript, entering a remote Windows PowerShell session, typing a command, exiting the session, and stopping the transcript.

PS C:\> Start-Transcript
Transcript started, output file is C:\Users\administrator.IAMMRED\Documents\PowerShe
ll_transcript.20120701124414.txt
PS C:\> Enter-PSSession -ComputerName dc1
[dc1]: PS C:\Users\Administrator\Documents> gwmi win32_bios

SMBIOSBIOSVersion : A01
Manufacturer      : Dell Computer Corporation
Name              : Default System BIOS
SerialNumber      : 9HQ1S21
Version           : DELL   - 6

[dc1]: PS C:\Users\Administrator\Documents> exit
PS C:\> Stop-Transcript
Transcript stopped, output file is C:\Users\administrator.IAMMRED\Documents\PowerShe
ll_transcript.20120701124414.txt
PS C:\>

The following image contains a copy of the transcript from the previous session.

No Events found!