Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2012 10:00

Firewire card issues on XPS 8500

Hi all,

I just got an XPS 8500, and was hoping to use my Firewire card from my old XPS 435MT. Installed it in the bottom slot , powered on, and the card was recognized. Installed the drivers per Windows 7 with no problem. Device listed as OK in Device Manager. Then, I plugged in a device (Drobo raid array), and got a BSOD (one of the error codes, fwiw, was 0x000000ca). Restarted, and changed the 1394 driver to "legacy" per some online recommendations, and had the same result.

I've now removed the card, and am wondering if I need to purchase a different one, or if something else is going on? The card in question is a Dynex DX-PC12PF (www.dynexproducts.com/.../DX-PCI2PF.html), with 2x Firewire 800 ports, and 1x Firewire 400. I need the 800 ports, not so much the 400.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I remember on my 435MT having to use drivers from UBB. I'm not at all opposed to purchasing a new PCI-e card, but want to know the best option I have.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Jake Norton

www.challenge21.com

www.mountainworldphoto.com

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 9th, 2012 10:00

If you did not attach the Power connection to the floppy power connector then its likely the issue.  6 Pin Firewire needs 12Volts and without the power connected there is zero volts.

Monoprice 12inch SATA 15pin Male to 4pin Molex and 4pin Power Cable

15 Posts

July 9th, 2012 11:00

Thanks, SpeedStep. I'll look in a moment, but do you know if that cable is something that is already in the box, or do I need to purchase it separately?

Thanks!!

Jake

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 9th, 2012 13:00

Never seen a card that comes with this conversion cable.

Reaching the card can be a pain.

No Events found!