Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2008 05:00

Folding@Home - CPU Temps are high w/720 H2C

Hey guys, I recently joined Team XPS and I wanted to make sure my computer is safe while running under full load on all 4 cores. I am using version 5.91. Here is a screenshot of 10 minutes of Folding for the team..

I have been idling around 35-40C with the room temperature being 78F.

On a side note, I tried Intel's TAT which showed the CPU reaching 85C within 30 seconds of load. kind of scared me so I stopped it. I wonder if my H2C cooler isn't working efficiently?

XPS 720 H2C

QX6700 (oc'd 3.47)

4GB Corsair DDR2 1066mhz

2 Raptor HDs non-raid

Nvidia 512mb 8800GT

XP MCE

Message Edited by J5th on 07-11-2008 01:53 AM

2.3K Posts

July 11th, 2008 07:00

J5th; Please use the thread stickied on this same board, at the very top:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=69601#M69601

Thanx for your Contribution(s) to Team_XPS and Humanity.

As long as you can keep your machine stable at that OC level with that high voltage, the temps should be ok, as you are well below 80 and more so below Tj.Max

I have found on my machine that easy does it, my Beast is at 3.2Ghz (Bin +1) and crunches two SMPs at 12.5 minutes per percent alongside aGPU client, all for well over 8,000 PPD :)

Without the GPU client, it can crunch 2 SMPs at 11.5 Minutes per percent.

Either way my temps run between 50-55 C :)

If I run it at 3.73Ghz (Bin+3), then it will complete each percentage at closer to 10 Minutes, but at 70-75 Temp :(

Over time and with patience you will find a happy medium by trying different settings.

Feel free to experiment and ask Qs at RSF and here at DCF

Peace

31 Posts

July 11th, 2008 07:00

Hi, well my question wasnt specifically for about Folding@home. I am sorry I made it seem like that. I Basically thought that I should be getting better temperatures with my H2C unit, however, if these temps are typical for full load I am not too worried.

I have been thinking about pursing an alternative cooling method if these are accurate. I dont think 80+ using Intel TAT is acceptable....

90 Posts

July 11th, 2008 14:00

Don't worry or be too concerned about your temps. Mine are just as high when subjected to heavy loads on all 4 cores. I found that the H2C cooling unit fan doesn't even increase in RPM's until the CPU cores reach almost 80C!!!

U.M.

31 Posts

July 11th, 2008 17:00

Ok, I decided to step down my processor to the stock 2.6Mhz and see what happened. The Temps are 20 degrees cooler than before! Thats drastic IMO. the cooler was replaced once because of a fan issue, and when the tech replaced the unit he didnt remove the old thermal compound. Just stuck the new on with the old and now its got a lot on there. I might try replacing it with artic silver and see how that helps. Otherwise, I am kind of disappointed with h2c.

@2.6mhz running all night on F@H

2.3K Posts

July 11th, 2008 19:00

Good idea about lowering the OC ... you will be more stable and cooler too ;)

Here's an article about how-to apply the AS5:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

Contrary to belief, you don't need a whole blob of it....

On my Quad, I merely use the line method to apply the Arctic Silver paste

Also, a good link about OverClocking here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

* Question: how are the times now that you have changed the OC and lowered the Temps?

> I would think the difference is not much... and worth the longer life expectancy !!!

PS... have you installed "SMP Affinity Changer" Yet?  It will shave off about 10% from your folding time:

http://distributed.org.ua/forum/index.php?showtopic=1149

Peace

July 11th, 2008 19:00

J5th, try the Arctic Silver, I just added an H2/C to my setup and I get 10-12c lower temps going up to just 80%.  Im running a 2.66 GHz QX6700 that O/C's to 3.73 GHz and runs at 40-41c with no load and in the mid-high 50's under full load.  There might be better cooling solutions, but the H2/C does a goos job IMHO...

WW

Message Edited by WhiteWizard62 on 07-11-2008 03:28 PM

807 Posts

July 11th, 2008 23:00

@J5th wrote:

I might try replacing it with artic silver and see how that helps. Otherwise, I am kind of disappointed with h2c.

I would go with the arctic silver. But you shouldn't be too dissapointed with the H2C unit. Those are pretty good temps for an OC that high. Especially considering that it's an all internal system. You would get better temps with an external radiator and a stronger pump...but those cost much more and are much louder than what you have now. I think it looks OK.

Message Edited by CHSIsupplier on 07-11-2008 07:27 PM

2.3K Posts

July 13th, 2008 17:00

This is for you J5th:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=69893#M69893

Than again for joining Team_XPS... come over to our thread and say hello.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Team_XPS welcomes our newest member
J5th with first WU = 1920 Points  :smileysurprised:

I Just Love it when a new member jumps in with guns fully loaded with SMPs  :smileytongue:

Thanx J5th for your contribution(s) to Humanity & Team_XPS

Member 183, Debuted at Rank 111  :smileyvery-happy:

Peace

No Events found!