Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

April 25th, 2002 17:00

Freezing up and blue screened to death...

I wrote a couple weeks ago about some problems that seemed like they might be memory allocation problems. Those have been ruled out and it was suggested that I write down the error messages I get when my computer decides to die. Here are some common ones:

"Mprexe has caused an error in USER.EXE; Mprexe will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer." Press "Close" button. Computer freezes up then gives blue screen. Error message: 0E:0187:BFF8E64B. Press "OK" button. Dialogue box appears: "System is dangerously low in resources! Would you like to terminate the following application? Explorer [not responding] Press "yes" button, dialogue box appears with message: "Explorer.exe has caused an error in USER.EXE; Explorer.exe will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer." Completely froze up and had to turn off power and restart.

This is a daily (or nearly daily) occurance. I use AOHell and have most problems when signing off of internet. Oh, almost forgot. When signing into AOHell, I get a message that a window could not be displayed because of low memory (which is why I originally thought I had memory allocation problems), and I should close any open windows. There are no other open windows. Once I close this dialogue box, everything loads and opens "normally" unless I get another dialogue box that says WAOL.exe has caused a problem and that the application will now close and I get booted off. Usually works fine when I sign in again.

I am at my wits end and, being a computer dummy, have no idea what to do or where to turn. Please "dumb down" your responses so I can understand. I appreciate any help.

--
Lisa

472 Posts

April 25th, 2002 18:00

I believe it was I who suggested that you copy down the messages.

I had a similar problem on a Windows 98 computer. I would browse files on the Internet and then couldn't close it. I would get exceptions in Explorer (and User.exe) just as you. I would never be able to shut down Windows.

What was interesting is that it had nothing to do with the Internet. I was browsing pdf files (Adobe format Postscript). A printer driver then caused the problem (HP laserjet Postscript driver.) I updated to a newer driver and the problem disappeared.

Check your hardware for up-to-date drivers. Also, post whatever hardware and software is in your machine.

Charles,
Tag # 6VMY111

Dimension 8200, Bios A03
1.8 ghz P4
512 mb Rambus Ram
80 gb HD primary, 20 gb HD secondary
NVidia GEForce3 TI200
Dell M991 monitor
Samsung 308b DVD/CDRW combo
Telephony modem
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound (4161 beta driver)
Altec Lansing ADA995 (1BT)
Windows XP Home
(Multibooted with Win98, Win2000, OS/2, Linux)
Roxio Easy CDCreator 5.1.0.104 (platinum)
Office XP Pro (retail)
Power DVD 4 (retail upgrade)
Norton SystemWorks 2002 (retail)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 16th, 2014 14:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!