Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2005 15:00

Front Panel Pin Connectors

Does anyone know how to connect the following connectors to a Dell Dimension 4400 front panel (control panel): Power SW, Reset SW, H.D.D LED, Power LED.

The control panel is a 16-pin layout with one pin missing in the 1 position.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. If I connect these wrong, is there a chance it could fry my motherboard?

76 Posts

January 7th, 2005 15:00

Look at the post by noctocas on 1/4/05 (currently on page 3 here). He asked the same & there is a good answer in his thread.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d850gb/sb/cs-013238.htm#8 This link worked for me but I like the other one better.

January 7th, 2005 19:00

Thanks for the response.

Quick question...any idea what an ESUP switch is? I also have two wires for the power switch...where does the second wire plug into?

For others who may be curious, I am referencing the instructions from http://lnmdesign.com/400sc/front_pnl.html#CTRL_PNL

Thanks!

76 Posts

January 7th, 2005 19:00

I see what you mean. pin #13 is a ground & pin #14 is removed. I did not use either one.

The power switch is 2 pins #'s 6&8. 8 is the ground usually a black wire.

76 Posts

January 7th, 2005 20:00

Yes mine starts but I am having trouble getting it to see HD D:. Everything else is OK.

power switch is on pins 6&8 8 is the ground. This is the only you have to have to start your computer.

reset is on 5&7 5 is the ground

power LED is on 2&4 but only 2 pins not 3 so I did not connect it.

hard drive LED is on 1&3

The critical one here is your power switch, the rest are just nice to have. You might use my link above as the diagram is larger & it is for a 16 pin front panel.

January 7th, 2005 20:00

Did you get your computer to start?

Here is what I've got so far:
Power LED (green wire on pin 5 covering three pins on the left side to pin 9)
HDD LED (white wire on pin 4, red wire on pin 6)
Power switch (orange wire on pin 2)
Reset switch (unplugged...not sure)

When I press the power button, I get no response. However, the motherboard LED does light up when I plug in the computer.

Any thoughts?
No Events found!