Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2015 17:00

GPU that will work with my dell optiplex 780

Hi. I have recently bought a dell optiplex 780 desktop computer (DT). I want to upgrade the GPU but I do not know what options I have or what I can get. I mainly play minecraft and MMORPG games. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I may be able to get without breaking the bank or having to buy a new power supply? The two I am looking at right now is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 and the AMD Radeon HD5450. If you could help, i would really appreciate it. thanks again.

specs:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E7600 (3.06Ghz)

RAM: 4GB (I dont know if its DDR2 or DDR3)

GPU: Integrated (believe it an Intel GMA 4500)

link to pdf file of dell optiplex 780 (the one i have is the Dell Optiplex 780 desktop computer (DT)

www.dell.com/.../optiplex_780_tech_guidebook_en.pdf

2 Posts

September 13th, 2015 19:00

Yeah I'm in a similar situation, with my 780 SFF. I watched a YouTube video of a guy who put a Gigabyte GT730 2GB Low Profile GPU in his, and he installed it 100% for Minecraft. They go for around $70 - $80 on eBay. But I would like confirmation as well.

9 Posts

September 14th, 2015 10:00

Yeah I have seen multiple videos like that on youtube as well. I have also been doing a lot of research to see what exactly it would cost to be able to get performance like we see in the videos. Seeing as to how you have a SFF i don't know how easy it would be for you to upgrade the PSU because before you upgrade anything on your Dell Optiplex 780 you are going to have to buy a new PSU so you can get enough wattage. The GPU for both of our types of computers only allows us to use low profile cards which will also limit our options on how well we can really make games perform and what cards we can get unless we get a new case. This list of components that I made below should all be able to run with just a 300w power supply and improve your gameplay "drastically".

CPU: Intel core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 

GPU: Gigabyte GT730 2GB Low Profile 

RAM/Memory: Now the Dell optiplex 780 is a little odd when it comes to RAM. The motherboards we have comes with four DIMM slots (where we put the RAM) and each DIMM slot only supports up to 2GB meaning we can have a max of 8GB. I have also seen a lot of people say you cant use DDR3 RAM on this pc, well, they"re wrong. It can use DDR3 just as long as it is DDR3 Synch DRAM Non-ECC Memory and clocks at 1066Mhz. 

2 Posts

June 12th, 2017 15:00

new nvidia Gt 1030, seems can be running and fit on optiplex 780 sff

No Events found!