Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2013 00:00

GPU upgrade (GTX 780 vs. 770 vs. 680) for XPS 8300.

Hey there.

As my GTX 560 Ti died yesterday (I assume caused by NVIDIAs 320.18 back then), I've got to get a new graphics card now. My service-tag, if it matters, is "7XM085J". 

I read here - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19515382.aspx - that it is really just about the measurements of the card and the adequately upgraded PSU as long as I have Windows 7 on it. Shall I take 650W or 750W - semi- or full-modular? I read that XFX 80 plus Bronze PSUs are supposed to be very good.

I've got 16 GB of RAM which tightens it a bit in the case I think. But would you think I can fit a a Palit GTX 780 Super JetStream in it? -> http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=2204

Furthermore I've read, that there can occur possible problems by the choice of the manufacturer. A MSI GTX 770 shall work - one from EVGA didn't.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1699733/gtx-770-questions.html

But EVGA seem to deliver support for the 8300 within their updates At least I've seen that for cards out of the 600 series. So best to go for them then or doesn't it matter as stated in the link above?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Tim

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hi Tim,

Yes you are right. As long as you can fit a graphic card and a PSU in the computer, you can take its full advantage. Any graphic card supporting PCI Express x16 slot will work fine with the XPS 8300. Its your call on the PSU, you can buy any brand according to your liking. Some of the well known brands are Corsair, XFX and Cooler Master. I would recommend to go for the 750W as it would be better for future upgrades if any.

Yes, you would be able to fit the Palit GTX 780 Super JetStream graphic card in it. It will not obstruct or come in the way of memory modules (RAM). Most of the graphic cards are designed in such a way that they start to protrude out from the base, meaning that the the body of the card bulges out from the express slot to the PCI card slots. Thus it will not come in the way of the memory modules. Take a look at the picture below:

The highlighted red area above will be taken by the card.

There is as to no update that cards from different manufacturer's don't work. Yes their performance may vary because different manufacturers tweak their card accordingly to the performance. My theory is any card that supports PCI express x16 slot and has ample power from the PSU will work with the computer.

Hope this helps.

5 Posts

January 5th, 2014 06:00

My Asus GTX 770 isn't being detected by the BIOS in my XPS 8300. How can I fix this?

7 Posts

June 9th, 2014 08:00

Hilarious that a Dell employee told you you would be fine with that graphics card.

The Bios needs an update that Dell refuses to give it.  The XPS 8300 won't boot anything 600 series and on for Nvidia and probably nothing past the 7000 series from Radeon.

Dell could easily resolve this by giving the Bios an update but they won't do it.

They literally want you to buy another computer.  Planned obsolescence and ridiculous restrictions, that's Dell.

1 Message

July 21st, 2014 13:00

hell will freeze over before I replace this [Substitute characters removed as per TOU policy] with another Dell

it's one thing to have to replace their cheap power supply , this bios [Admin NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] is just that

replacing their motherboard means having to buy another OS license too boot .

No Events found!