Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

April 4th, 2009 13:00

GTX 295 & XPS 720 - Great Performance!!

Hi.

Two months ago I've installed a GTX 295 working great on my XPS 720.

Controlling the video card's fan  the max. temp. reported is 82C (load) so far., but I am concern about the temp on summer time here in Miami so ...I don't want to "boil an egg" in that season ...LOL.

What is the best fan (air cooler) would I add to my rig in order to get a better control of heat within my rig?.

I'll appreciate every advice. Thanks.

650 Posts

April 4th, 2009 17:00

If that card is running at 82C (82C = 179F) under load, that's VERY hot and it won't take much more until things will begin to melt. A fan will only do so much. If the room your PC is in stays fairly warm, you need to do whatever necessary to drop the room temperature. Otherwise, you're blowing hot air on a hot card. Make sure nothing is restricting the airflow in the front. Do you have a front intake fan and a rear exhaust fan?

80 Posts

April 5th, 2009 11:00

Originally My rig (XPS 720) got a front intake fan, and another one the processor. No rear exhaust fan.  The temp of the mobo is 30C max, and for the 4 cores (QX9650) are 42C average. These are temps very handle temps, i think.

So wat would your suggestion be to add the best air fan for my system, specially for the video card?.

Thanks PH3N0M.

4.6K Posts

April 5th, 2009 12:00

I have to disagree with you on this one PH3NOM.  82°c isn't worryingly hot for a powerful card like the GTX 295 under load.

For instance, the 'temperatures' chart of this (January 2009) BeHardware comparison of the ATI 4870 X2 and Nvidia GTX 295, shows the GTX 295 running at 99°c under load:

That's not to say the card temperature couldn't be improved of course :emotion-55:

A better third party cooler may well reduce it by a few degrees?

But PHENOM quite rightly advises, that ambient room temperature has a big/important influence on overall case temperatures

As do the cooling capabilities of whatever case you're using, and the airflow through it.

It's very important to have good airflow - and that means:

1.  Having good intake/exhaust fans in the first place.  Cut a blowhole (in the top of case) if you have to, to help exhaust the warm air from the case.

2.  Allowing the air to flow from front to rear, with as little restriction as possible - i.e. by routing all cables as far out of the way as possible.

3.  Having the ambient room temperature no higher than 'comfortable'.

650 Posts

April 8th, 2009 23:00

It's very important to have good airflow - and that means:

1.  Having good intake/exhaust fans in the first place.  Cut a blowhole (in the top of case) if you have to, to help exhaust the warm air from the case.

2.  Allowing the air to flow from front to rear, with as little restriction as possible - i.e. by routing all cables as far out of the way as possible.

3.  Having the ambient room temperature no higher than 'comfortable'.

+1 on what FireBlade has said above. As for the temperatures, I was incorrect in my previous assessment when I stated 82C is fairly hot because the GTX 285/295 can withstand temperatures up to 100C as the chart shows that FireBlade posted. However, I prefer to keep my components as cool as possible.

No Events found!