Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 21st, 2014 12:00

GX 280 Question...

I know this is an OLD machine but I picked up 3 from my company for free and I was wondering if anyone knew how much upgrading they can take? My end goal is to run them as servers for XBMC and to stream media only. (television pgms)  SO, Can they be upgraded and would it be worth the time?  They were free and I thought it was woth checking into.

Any suggestions (besides buy new machines,lol)

Thanks for any assistance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2014 12:00

Max ram is 4 gigs.  Intel® 915G Express chipset, Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with 800 MHz front side bus and Hyper-Threading and 1MB L2 cache or Celeron D® processor with 533 MHz front side bus and 256K L2 cache. Has PCI-E X16 Video Slot but only has 250W power supply so Radeon HD 5450 (19W) is max video card.  They had issues with Bad Caps.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/spec_optix_gx280_en.pdf

OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280 's  had issues with Bad Caps.

http://warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/...m/T1910000.ASP

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280
Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide OUT OF WARRANTY coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

Customers with qualifying out of warranty systems may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 for service. Affected parts dispatched through Dell Technical Support will not be eligible for labor reimbursement. Note, WPD customers with affected systems still UNDER WARRANTY may continue to contact WPD as usual for warranty coverage.

For Systems Under Warranty

Contact Warranty Parts Direct as usual for part replacement coverage per the existing Warranty Service contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If an OUT OF WARRANTY desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, customers may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 to have the motherboard replaced at no charge per Dell's Next Business Day service coverage program.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

No Events found!