Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

February 5th, 2008 00:00

GX150 Hard drive

I have an Optiplex GX150 wiuth A09 BIOS. What is the maximum size IDE HDD I can put in it without a BIOS upgrade? If I was to upgrade the BIOS what BIOS would I need to upgrade to a 100 to 200GB IDE?

Thanks

Message Edited by elical on 02-05-2008 11:44 AM
Message Edited by elical on 02-05-2008 12:01 PM

10 Posts

February 5th, 2008 12:00

Many Thanks

• 

16.7K Posts

February 5th, 2008 12:00

elical,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The largest drive that we have tested in this system is 80 gigs. There is no bios upgrade that will allow for larger hard drives. You could possibly go a bit larger than 80 gigs.
Message Edited by DELL-Jesse on 02-05-2008 09:08 AM

650 Posts

February 5th, 2008 14:00

bios A10 has some good fixes in it, but either way you should be able to use a 120GB IDE drive. If you just need more space added, I would add a SATA card for Approx $15

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816104003

10 Posts

February 5th, 2008 21:00

The SATA card is a great idea. Didn't know they existed. However the GX150 doesnt have much room for an extra drive, in fact it is quite limited, therefore I would need to replace the existing 20Gb HDD. Could I use the SATA card via PCI to host the primary OS drive (ie C Drive), or is a host controller only to be utilised for a secondary drive?

Many Thanks for the input.

10 Posts

February 5th, 2008 21:00

Thanks Jesse

Is there a good place to look for any BIOS release notes for A09 and A10 that would give me the HDD capacity limit?

Many Thanks

650 Posts

February 6th, 2008 13:00

You can boot from an add-on controller.

BIOS option info below:

"IDE Drive Interface: enables or disables the system's integrated enhanced integrated drive electronics (EIDE) hard drive interface. With Auto (the default) selected, the system turns off the integrated EIDE interface when necessary to accommodate a controller card installed in an expansion slot. As part of the boot routine, the system first checks for a primary hard drive controller card installed in an expansion slot. If no card is found, the system enables the integrated EIDE interface to use IRQ14 and IRQ15. If a primary controller is detected on the expansion bus, the integrated EIDE interface is disabled. Selecting Off disables the integrated EIDE interface."

I never saw Dell docs show capacity's with Bios versions. Unless they had a specific problem and fixed it in a Bios release. 

10 Posts

February 6th, 2008 20:00

Excellent info, much appreciated. Thanks very much.

9 Posts

April 13th, 2008 11:00

I have a GX150 that I installed a 160GB WD Caviar HDD into.  BIOS recognized it without any problems, installed WinXPP and everything is good.  My BIOS lvl is A11 (last for the GX150).  I have the better GX150 motherboard without the removable VRM.  It may make a difference.

10 Posts

April 13th, 2008 23:00

Thanks for the info, how did you go with cooling? Any problems with heat? The GX150 doesnt seem to have much of an airflow path. Don't know if it matters or not.

9 Posts

April 14th, 2008 20:00

The HDD itself does run rather hot.  I haven't done anything for additional cooling.  I don't see how I can.  It's a SFF (tiny) desktop.  No room for more fans.  It's on 24/7 as a NAS device.  I haven't noticed any performance issues.  It's small and quiet.  I like it.  I want to install a 500-750GB drive.

I purchased a PCI SATA adapter to install a 500GB drive that I have, but the connector for the SATA was on top of the card, the card would fit and the case would close, but NOT with the cable inserted into it.  BUMMER!  It was a small enough card, I thought it would fit and work, but apparently you need a card with the SATA connector on the back end of the card.

The good news is that it's a combo card, both SATA & Ultra-IDE-133.  So if the GX150 doesn't recognize the new 500GB IDE, the card most likely would.  The IDE connector is on the back end of the card, lol, reverse of what I needed.

Considered going with an external 500GB USB drive.  But at USB spec 1.1 I think it would be too slow.

I was amazed when I saw the BIOS recognize the full capacity of the hard drive and utilized it.  I thought for sure it would hit the 127GB barrier.

I suppose the cheapest thing for me to do now is to purchase this

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SATARAID-PCI&cat=CCD

Alot cheaper than a new old tech IDE HDD.  Connector on the back :)

10 Posts

April 15th, 2008 04:00

I updated my BIOS to A11 and have tried a Samsung 250Gb PATA HDD directly in my GX150 and it was recognised OK. I loaded WinXPP OK. Unfortuantely the drive was a borrowed one for testing only. I use my GX as basically a storage / backup drive (ultimately a NAS would be the goal). It seemed to do OK, but I am concerned about the cooling. I ran it in that config for two weeks with no problems at all. Ihe tropics and the ambient temp is 30 degrees plus each day so, I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy a drive outright and if it dies through heat stroke I will have to take it on the chin. I am trying to source a PATA 500Gb to try, however it may be quite slow. It would be interesting to see what the size can be pushed to. I will let you know how I get on if I can get a test drive.

No Events found!