Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2004 14:00

GX240 wont run software

Hey all,

I have a problem with some software not running on our GX240's.  I've loaded this software on 3 different 240's with different O/S, different BIOS version and different hardware configs.  I'm unable to run it on any of these machines.

I can install and run on any GX50/60, GX1 or GX110 and I have no problems.

Has anyone else run into this issue before and if so what was the resolution if any?

Message Edited by lilredyj on 09-29-2004 09:35 AM

80 Posts

What kind of software are you trying to load? I know that Microsoft keeps track of the amount of times that you load a piecce of software and will not allow you to load it after a series of loads. Other software makers do the same thing - embedded within the software CD.

6 Posts

The software is by a company called CareerTrack and basically its an unlicensed product that does not have any limits to the amount of times it's installed.

The system requirements are quite minimal.

80386 microprocessor operating at 25mhz and up, 4 mb of ram, sound card, dos v5 and up and win3.0 and up.

It seems any of our machines from a GX240 and higher will not run this software.

Would chipset cause this problem?

80 Posts

September 29th, 2004 15:00

When a new chipset came out during the W95/W98 years, the newer machines could not run W3.1.1 because the chipset ran too fast. People had to underclock the chipset to get it to work properly. I would not be suprised that this software(designed for older HW and W9x) would require the same thing. Try underclocking it, or get an older machine(low end P2) to get it to work.

6 Posts

September 29th, 2004 15:00

Thanks for the suggestion!  I am able to run this software on GX1 and 110's (P2 and 3) without any problems and also on Celeron Processors so I'll try the clock speed on this P4 and let you know how that worked.

6 Posts

September 30th, 2004 15:00

Well, I tried setting the clock speed and was unable to.  My only choice were to set it to compatible and to normal.  Compatible would not boot the machine up.  I'd get to the w2k splash screen and there it sat.  I called the software company and they said there is no reason why their software shouldn't work on a w2k box.  It's not XP compatible but is 2K certified.

Any other suggestions?

80 Posts

September 30th, 2004 15:00

Does it need DOS to run in the background? W2K was the first OS that did not run a dos program in the background? DOS as an OS technically does not exist anymore. There is a DOS help within the OS help that you might want to read up on.

Otherwise, get with the software company and see how to configure it with the new chipsets. I have a feeling that the hardware is just too new for this old software.

No Events found!