Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 30th, 2004 03:00

GX280 and PCI Express incompatibility

Installing an nvidia pcx5900 based PCI Express in a Optiplex GX280 apparantly has some issues. 

An error is generated at POST: Alert!  PCI Express card is operating in x1 mode.

I can continue by hitting F1, and windows loads fine.  The nvidia drivers install fine, but after all is up and running, the card reports through the driver that it is running in x1 mode instead of x16.  If this won't work in x16 mode, I am better off sticking with the onboard Intel based driver.  Any thoughts anyone?  I know the card is good, and I have verified all settings and ensured the card is seated fully in the x16 slot.

HELP!!!  I'd hate to think I am out a  bunch of $$ just because of this issue.

1 Message

January 29th, 2005 07:00

Hi

I have just bought a dimmesion 5000, from dell about 10 days ago.  My pc to shows the PCI running in x1 mode.  I am pressing dell to solve this problem,  if I get it resolved I will post the solution on here.  Just a question does yours only post the errror from system start up(full shut down) and only intermitently.  If mine is re-started it does not post the errror.  Let me know

cheers dave

12 Posts

February 1st, 2005 17:00

Hi

I have the same problem with a dimension 5000 which was delivered about 3 weeks ago. My card is a Point of View Geforce 6600GT PCX 128 MB and i get the same alert after booting the machine. It doesn't matter wether i make a full shutdown with power off or only a warm restart, i always get the message: "Alert! PCI Express card is operating in x1 mode.
Would be nice if we could get a solution in short time because i've just bought my card and maybe could give it back.

2 Posts

February 18th, 2005 11:00

The problem happens at every boot, warm or cold.  I still have no resolution for this, and I see that Dell has not updated the bios to provide better PCI-X support either. 

12 Posts

February 27th, 2005 16:00

Hi jnisme,

i found a new BIOS for my Dim 5000 on ftp.dell.com but my problem with the 6600GT persits. Maybe you have better luck with your Optiplex ?

good luck!

Glanzi

1 Message

August 4th, 2005 18:00

WOW, shocker...NO REPLIES FROM DELL?!

I have started seeing this PCI Xpress running in X1 mode on my machien also here.

I'm running a BFG tech 6600 OC (128mb X16 pci e) CARD IN MY gx280.  I run them in about

5 others (or more by now) in our District, with ZERO problems.  However, I am seeing major issues

after "hitting F1" to get past the X1 error.  NOW, my CPU fan (MOBO not Vid card) is cranking upto about 6,000 (give or take 10k) rpms on boot....and when I say boot, I mean power on.  The machine will not even boot anymore while the card is in it.  The card is fine, the machine is the questionable equipment.  This is NO different that not receiving any support on our Win2k's loss of USB keyboard on bootup (USB driver with GX280 and 2k not happy?).  We'll probably have to come up with our own workaround, and STILL get charged for tech support from DELL.

SAD SAD SAD!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 4th, 2005 18:00

Zodiac9,

I am not sure why you would think we would respond to a 3rd party hardware issue. Still, the GX280 shipped from Dell with either the Ati RV370 or the ATI Radeon X300 SE. We cannot change the bios for every retail video card on the market. We would be releasing a new bios every week. Bios revisions come out very slowly. IF a change is made, it will take awhile.

1 Message

January 15th, 2012 04:00

yes i face this problom i have dell gx280 9600gt 

14.4K Posts

January 15th, 2012 06:00

This thread is now locked due to age

14.4K Posts

January 15th, 2012 06:00

M.Ali you replied to a 7 yr old thread. Please start a new thread with your issue and provide more specific details like your model and version of windows.

No Events found!