Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PG

December 12th, 1999 07:00

Game crashes

On various games, I've had them crash as soon as I enter the main game screen (no problem getting through early option menus) - not even an error message, program just shuts down. Help!

Any help for a newbie greatly appreciated.

2.1K Posts

December 12th, 1999 10:00

It would help if you would list the specific games. This way, formum members can see what settings they use and pass them along.

December 12th, 1999 11:00

What is the computer you are using and what is the video card? Also what games are you using that crash?

394 Posts

December 12th, 1999 17:00

Hi,

I've heard of trouble with at least 2 of your games: Darkstone and Age of Empires II. Darkstone has a patch for sure, I don't know about Age of Empires II. George was right, though--a rundown of your system specs is needed. Your processor speed, RAM, resource level, and video card memory are all needed to better assess your problem.

Good luck,
Kay

I've had trouble with Links 99 & Baldur's Gate - but also downloaded demos such as Final Fantasy VIII, Darkstone & Age of Empires II.

Dell Dimenson V350 - how do I find out what video card I'm using?

394 Posts

December 12th, 1999 18:00

Hi,

To find your video card, try going to My Computer | Control Panel | Display | Settings, click the Advanced button. That should give you a number of tabs to check for your video card make, model, memory count, and your current driver version.

Find your boot resource level by, immediately after you boot, right-click My Computer, choose Properties, then Performance. What does it say by System Resources?

Which OS are you running: Win 95, 98 First Edition, or Win 98 SE?

How much RAM do you have?

Later,
Kay

December 12th, 1999 19:00

If you have not added a video card to your computer you have the integrated ati rage pro with 8 megs of memory.

I guess the best thing to try first is to get current drivers for the card. Dell will have some older drivers but I am sure the ati site would have even more current drivers.

i would go try there first.

I am not too sure about this but I seem to remember that there are known compatibility problems with some type of games (?)

ati driver site

They give links to the dell board indicating that you may want to use the dell drivers

You should also look at the FAQ for the speicific games which usually detail known issues and how to correct it for specific video cards

make sure you do indeed have the ati card and if you do you can also fo here to see what may be done to get the card to work for specific games

> ati game problem site

394 Posts

December 12th, 1999 23:00

Hi,

I agree with George that you start with the most current drivers your system, being Dell, will support, and then work with both the patch situation, as well as the ATI sites he mentions. After that, be sure your memory and resources are in order to play these games--not too many TSR's running in the background, which can cause memory errors. If you are being dumped out onto the desktop, that often, but not always, indicates a memory error. You maximize your situation to prevent that.

As a last suggestion, I would say that perhaps you should not run all the video settings at maximum capability. I have a 16MB card, and usually run things at around 75% of what it says it can do, just because games seem to play better for us at that setting.

Good luck,
Kay

No Events found!