Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CR

March 13th, 2005 10:00

GoBack Internal Error - Failure Code gb_ui_support(1199) - I cannot boot from C Drive or from CD Rom

Can someone please help me?

What can I do to get my PC working again?

I get the above error message and cannot go any further than this.

I have spent hours and hours trying to sort it out, and am now using my laptop to get online.

I have a Dimension 4700 which is less than two and a half months old.

This is the second time I have been locked out and the last time, when the computer was a month old, I had to resort to factory settings, losing all my data etc in the process. I am really loathe to do this again.

I have contacted Dell Support, but would like to resolve this today if possible, while I have some time spare.

I have searched for the problem through the Norton Web Site, and they say it is nothing to do with Norton, but a hardware problem/failure - contact your supplier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Cats R Us 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Norton blames it on hardware, when it's clearly a GoBack error?

My advice would be to reinstall and NOT install GoBack. Try the PC Restore utility, described here:

If that does not work, here are the instructions to set your system to boot from the CD-ROM:

15 Posts

Hi Osprey,

That's what I did the last time, losing all my data. Is there any other option?

By the way, I could boot from the CD Rom using the same info in the link you gave me, but nothing worked. I could not perform a repair from Windows OS or Dell resources disk. I did access the diagnostics but this didn't find anything wrong. My Norton Recovery disc didn't want to know.

Is there a way of disabling Norton GoBack without getting into my system? Maybe through Dos?

I thought this might resolve the problem.

Regards, Cats R Us

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 13th, 2005 17:00

Cats:

My experience with Norton is that too many irreversible changes are made to allow for a complete uninstall. You may want to try this approach:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316503&sd=RMVP

My strong recommendation would be NOT to install or use GoBack in the future. The Windows XP Restore feature, while not perfect, does not cause the headaches Norton programs do.

15 Posts

March 13th, 2005 18:00

Hi Osprey,

I have just tried using the "Space" option to get into Norton Go Back, but this proves impossible with the same error message "Internal Error" blah blah blah!

I guess I knew it wouldn't be something so simple!

Thanks Anyway.

Cats R Us

15 Posts

March 13th, 2005 18:00

Hi Osprey,

Thanks - I am quite happy to not use Norton Go Back, as advice today has shown there are other alternatives, but unfortunately, I cannot even get into my PC, cannot do a system restore, cannot actually do anything?

I am at a loss as to what to do next?

I am guessing to perform the operation in the link you sent me, which I have saved to my favourites, that I have to get into my computer or a boot disk first.

If you check my new post, this is proving absolutely impossible and I am getting no help as yet from Dell.

I cannot even do a system restore, so guess there is something much more serious than I first suspected.

Would appreciate any other techi advice. I am pretty PC iliterate, but am learning new stuff all the time, which puts me ahead of a very small few!! But not as far as I would like to be................

Thanks again,

Cats R Us

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 14th, 2005 00:00

Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like reinstallation time to me.
No Events found!