Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2012 18:00

Good news - Coincidental DVD/CD drive adapter

A while back I posted about my new LG SATA DVD burner I bought for my Dell Dimension E510. I thought it was a fully SATA PC but found out, through you, the optical drives are IDE [dumb me]. Well, after discussing it, I hooked it up as a SATA, borrowing the 2nd hard drive connectors and it worked fine. It was problematic at times though, especially if I had a freeze up and had to force it off. After a force off, on a reboot, that DVD drive was always confused as an HDD. This made me have to use my XP install disc to get it booted and back in sync during those occasions.

Flashing way back to my Dimension 4100 days, I recalled buying a SATA hard drive on sale at Tiger Direct by mistake [4100 is an IDE PC]. Then I recalled buying, from DELL, a StarTech IDE2SAT adapter to convert the SATA to IDE. Worked great for years. I noticed the old Dimension sitting in the corner the other day and wondered........ hmm.  Well, the adapter connections turned out identical and fit the LG DVD drive like a dream. Now it's hooked up as an IDE DVD drive, as it should be, and works perfectly.

So once in a while things can and do work out !!  Just thought I'd share.

Thanks to you ALL, for ALL the help, ALL this time.

T'care,

Mike

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 20th, 2012 18:00

Hi Mike,

Wow, glad to hear that worked. We haven't generally heard good things about those IDE-to-SATA adapters. Nice to know there's something out there that works.

No Events found!