Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2003 08:00

Graphic card drivers problem

I've got a Dimension 4550 with a GeForce 2 MX graphics card.  Last night I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA (52.16) and installed them, but there seems to be some problems.  The drivers seem to be fine but when I try and go through display properties to configure the graphics output (properties/settings/advanced and click on the name of the card) I get an error message with the title nvcpl that says 'catastrophic failure'.  The computer doesn't crash and nothing bad seems to happen, I just can't configure the settings on the card.  I followed all of the instructions when installing the drivers (disabled Norton Anti Virus, etc) and I tried installing the drivers twice.  After the first time I used driver rollback to return to the previous drivers but after the second installation when I tried this windows said there was no back up of the old drivers to return to!  Does anyone have any ideas on this?  Perhaps it's just that I don't have a bang up to date card?  Does anyone know of a site where I could download the previous version of the drivers?

Thanks for any ideas.

1.9K Posts

October 25th, 2003 11:00

If you're running WinXP or WinMe, you could use the system restore function to go back to the previous driver, OR if you're using XP, you can go into device manager and use the driver rollback function.

October 25th, 2003 13:00

Another good example of why you should image the OS prior to any hardware/software upgrade.  The use of multiple partitions will reduce the size of the primary C partition to less than 1GB.

F.

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

October 25th, 2003 13:00

Jeremy Cook,

The NVidia driver archive is here.

I just downloaded and installed the driver and it installed on my Dimension 4300 without a problem. You should have the downloaded file still on your hard disk (52.16_win2kxp_english_whql.exe). You might try removing any current driver in Device Manager and simply rebooting using the Windows default VGA driver, then installing the driver again.

Message Edited by Denny Denham on 10-25-2003 08:19 AM

No Events found!