Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2016 06:00

Graphics Adapter Assignment

I have an XPS 8900 that was delivered with both an Intel HD Graphics 530 adapter and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 adapter. The system is using the Intel adapter, and I have found no way to switch to the NVIDIA adapter.  Device Manager shows that both adapters are working properly and drivers are up to date.

How can I switch to the NVIDIA adapter?  Thanks

147 Posts

March 5th, 2016 11:00

Dan, thank you.  I didn't know the NVIDIA adapter was a bus-mounted card on the mother-board, thus had its own HDMI port. I had ignorantly plugged the monitor into the internal Intel adapter HDMI port because it was obvious.  I now have the monitor plugged into the NVIDIA port and all is right with the world...at least with my computer's world. :emotion-2:

Thank you again. Is there somewhere I can post or give you a "thanks" for your help?

1.2K Posts

March 5th, 2016 11:00

happy to help.

For some reason I didn't think that card had HDMI on the card and it needed the adapter.

147 Posts

March 4th, 2016 08:00

I forgot to add that I had changed the video adapter assignment in BIOS from AUTO to NVIDIA. However when reboot completed, I saw that the Intel adapter had been assigned.

1.2K Posts

March 4th, 2016 14:00

do you have a monitor connected to the nVidia graphics card during POST?

147 Posts

March 5th, 2016 07:00

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply.  The monitor (Samsung 23" TV) is connected to the computer's single HDMI port.

Unfortunately I now have created an error condition that I can't correct. Since I changed the default video adapter in BIOS to NVIDIA from AUTO, the display does not function during the BIOS portion of the boot sequence, i.e. during DELL logo display. The display becomes active only after the Win10 boot sequence starts. Consequently I can't enter BIOS setup (F2) to change the video adapter back to AUTO.

I tried booting from the Recovery USB drive, but apparently that only becomes active during the WIN10 boot sequence, not the BIOS boot sequence.

Furthermore, I have found no way to enter and setup the NVIDIA Control Panel because selecting NVIDIA Control Panel by right-clicking on the desktop responds with "...no display attached to the NVIDIA GRU." I think if I can get into the NVIDIA Control Panel I can configure the adapter to recognize and respond to the HDMI port.

Is there a way to access the NVIDIA Control Panel other than by right-clicking in the desktop?

Also, is there a port to which I can connect a monitor to display the BIOS boot sequence so I can change the Video Adapter back to AUTO and get out of the mess I've created?

Thanks for any help.

1.2K Posts

March 5th, 2016 09:00

double post.

1.2K Posts

several ways to fix this. one is connect a different monitor to the nvidia card so you can get into BIOS.

Or reset CMOS by pulling the CPU battery out.

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/6099/SLN284985

What is the outcome you are trying to get?

If you are wanting to use the Samsung TV as the sole monitor you can use an adapter on the GT 730 like this. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Female-Adapter/dp/B007NLEF3W

1.2K Posts

I guess I need to add, if you have a monitor connected to the internal motherboard video, then it won't use the nViidia card. You need a monitor connected to the nVidia card on power on, after the CMOS reset and it will be recognized..

No Events found!