Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2012 04:00

Graphics Card and Psu Upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 and i am looking to upgrade my computer with a new graphics card and psu. I have found a graphics card you can see it here:http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4850/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4850-overview.aspx it requires 450w (minimum) to run and my psu is only 305w. I was wondering if anyone knew of any PSUs that would fit my computer.

Also to add i live in Australia so it would be useful for the seller to not be charging allot for postage.

5 Posts

June 24th, 2012 04:00

Also will this psu work in my pc?

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 24th, 2012 12:00

Also will this psu work in my pc?

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

ScytheX

Yes, the APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply, as shown in your link, should work fine, in your Dimension 5150.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 24th, 2012 18:00

You might consider a more efficient, newer card like the 7750, which wouldn't require a power supply update.

The 4850 is three generations behind and requires much more power per unit of performance.

5 Posts

June 25th, 2012 06:00

So what is the required wattage for the 7750 and would it fit my pc as if I am to get a graphics card It has to be a single slot card and the audio drive (not sure it's called that) has to be built in.

5 Posts

June 25th, 2012 06:00

Also if it doesn't work what would be another graphics card that would work in my pc that would be able to run arma 2, tribes ascend and saints row the third?

1.5K Posts

June 25th, 2012 08:00

It is best not to buy a cheap power supply if your goal is to upgrade your video card for gaming.  The one you linked is definitely on the cheap side.  Most likely your CPU does not meet the requirements for either of the games.  The HD 7750 would meet the video card requirement and the only one that would probably work with your current power supply at this performance level.  They do come in single slot versions if that is what you need.  I would think that you could use a dual slot also, but I know there are concerns about the heatsink housing on this model.   With your BTX case design, the fan will be facing towards the top of your tower so it should not interfere with any card that might be in the PCIe x1 slot right below it. 

With the HD 4850s being so old now and in limited supply, I would think that you can get the HD 7750 for less if buying new which offers better performance.  However, I would still be concerned about your CPU if you are running an old Pentium 4. 

5 Posts

June 26th, 2012 02:00

So what would happen if I got the graphics card and didn't upgrade my processor also if I have to upgrade my processor to run the graphics card then I won't be able to get that graphics card because I don't have enough for a new processor so what would be a good alternate graphics card?
No Events found!