Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

December 5th, 2016 20:00

Graphics card for dell optiplex 5040 Small Form Factor dsktop

Hello, I have a small form factor dell optiplex 5040 desktop and I would like to know if there are any graphics cards more powerful than the integrated graphics that I could install into this machine. I'm not a gamer, but I do 3D modeling. Any suggestions help.

• 

17K Posts

December 6th, 2016 08:00

Ihatestuckpixels,

Unfortunately, you will need to look at your systems motherboard for an available slot. The optiplex 5040 SFF had the optional upsell from the factory to include the vga port. It would have been selected during the configuration when purchasing the computer. 

December 6th, 2016 11:00

The dell optiplex 5040 SFF has two available pci slots, so I should be able to use a small graphics card. Also, the optional VGA port isn't useful to me, as both of my monitors have display port. I did some research and found the Geforce GT 710, and it looks adequate for my needs. Is that card more powerful than the core i5-6500 integrated graphics?

• 

17K Posts

December 7th, 2016 04:00

Ihatestuckpixels,

Yes, the Geforce GT 710 is more powerful than the onboard video card.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 13th, 2016 08:00

1 Message

February 26th, 2017 08:00

Hi there Ihatestuckpixels, I am too looking to upgrade the graphics card in my 5040SFF, just wondered if you purchased the Geforce GT710?

Did it fit and do you see any improvement from the IGPU.

Thanks..

February 26th, 2017 11:00

Actually, I never upgraded the graphics and I sold the computer shortly after. Unfortunately, the power supply wasn't powerful enough to support a graphics card, and I had a hard time finding graphics cards that would fit in the case. I will probably buy a full sized desktop so that I can upgrade the power supply and install a larger graphics card.

No Events found!