Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2014 09:00

Graphics card options for the GX240

According to the Dell site, I have two options for upgrading my graphics card.

The ATI Radeon™ HD 3450 Graphics card from Visiontek®. boasts dual monitor suport, and is currently $20 more than the second option. It does not state whether or not it handles 3D. Does it?

The Radeon X1300 256 MB GDDR2 DMS59 PCI Graphics Card from VisionTek® provides 2D/3D, but it has half the memory of the above card.

I want to use Google earth (and other 3D apps), and the AGP card that came in the computer won't handle 3D. Is there a AGP alternative, or am I stuck with using up a PCI slot?

If the two above options are it, will the first one handle 3D? I think it should, but not being a hardware geek I do not know.

17 Posts

February 21st, 2014 10:00

I will check this one out and see if it works with the GX240. I know that the machine and the OS are old, and that XP support is ending in a few more weeks. I don't have options at this point for upgrading to a newer computer/OS, so I have to make do with what I have. I just wanted to use a AGP replacement if I could, so I can keep the PCI slots available for other things (like USB 2.0 ports and such).

FWIW, I am using XP Pro with SP3, and all my software is as up-to-date as I can keep it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Is it a Tower or Desktop ?

Tower can use full size card Desktop REQUIRES Low Profile card.

Either way you can get a FASTER computer with PCI-E for less money than an ancient AGP card and it will be 400 percent faster or more than any card you can get for a GX240.

OptiPlex GX240 MT

VisionTEK
ATI Radeon HD 3450 512MB DDR2 AGP graphics card
Usually Ships Within 1 business day
Manufacturer Part# 900374
Dell Part# A5470387

For OptiPlex GX240 SFF or MT

3450 PCI 512MB DMS59 SFF DDR2 Dual Monitor SFF-Short + Tall brackets
Manufacturer Part# 900292
Dell Part# A3082456

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

The Zotac GT610 PCI is reputedly the best video upgrade available for AGP machines. However, I suggest you consider a newer Dell, like an OptiPlex GX620, because support for XP is ending in six weeks.

There are no modern AGP cards available. Both the cards you listed are ancient, outdated designs.

17 Posts

This is interesting. I replied to the previous reply, only to be told that the post would have to be approved by a moderator. That didn't happen before. Now, this post is marked as the answer to my question, but I didn't mark it as the answer!

The two cards I specified came straight from Dell: http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&cat=all&k=Optiplex+GX240. According to that page, these two cards are the ones that Dell shows as available for the Optiplex GX240. And the price on the $104 model was $80 just last week. I guess the prices are going to jump around too.

I know that the GX240 can only handle 4xAGP. I have read this everywhere I look.Do I have a clue what it means? NO! What exactly is a "mobo" model? Do you mean the motherboard? How do I find out which one it is? As I said before, I am not a hardware geek. I didn't realize that the GX240 was made with different motherboards, unless you mean desktop vs mini-tower. In that case, the one I have is the mini-tower.

As I stated in my original post, I want to be able to use Google Earth, and I also have a registered shareware 3D modeling program I want to use. I don't play 3D games on this computer. It is too old and slow.

I will leave this post marked as the answer, even though I don't like it when someone else makes my choices for me.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

This card works in ANY GX240 and is supported by Dell.

However.

The other reason for PCI is that it can be used in a newer machine later on.

Dell Part# A3082456

However its price is more than a better machine.  The GX620 will run Windows XP / VISTA / 7 / 8

Adding an inexpensive Radeon 5450 to a GX620 and you are good to go for many more years.

• Operating System: Windows XP and later
  • CPU: Pentium 3, 500Mhz
  • System Memory (RAM): 512MB
  • Hard Disk: 500MB free space
  • Network Speed: 128 Kbits/sec
  • Graphics Card: DirectX9 and 3D capable with 64MB of VRAM
  • Screen: 1024x768, "16-bit High Color" - DirectX 9 (to run in Direct X mode)

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

I know that the GX240 can only handle 4xAGP.

AGP has long since been abandoned by video card makers, and that means poor driver support. Meanwhile, users here are reporting success with modern PCI cards in their old AGP machines, so that's what I recommend. I have an old Dimension 2350 (no AGP), made about the same time as your GX240, and it is working quite nicely with a Sparkle 8400GS PCI.

I want to be able to use Google Earth, and I also have a registered shareware 3D modeling program I want to use.

The Zotac should work nicely for these purposes, and it is under $70. It will drive two or even three monitors, should that be desired.

17 Posts

I realize that both the cards I specified are old, but so is this GX240. From what I have found, there are not many choices for a graphics card for it. I looked at the Zotac you linked, but it says 64-bit. I am not at all sure that it would work with the Optiplex GX240.

I wanted to see if I could find a AGP card that will work, but I will settle for a PCI card that will work if need be. Until I can afford a newer computer I just want to get this one as usable as possible, and I may be needing it for a year or so before I will finally be able to look at something newer.

459 Posts

Without knowing your exact mobo model the Optiplex GX240 mobo can only handle 4xAGP.

1st: The HD 3400 series is 3D, but PCI Express 2.0. 

If you're looking for better 3D-gaming performance, plan on spending more than the Radeon HD 3450's bargain price. But if you just want a graphics card that delivers good performance on the Windows desktop and excellent video-playback performance and quality, this card is hard to beat.

2nd: The Radeon X1300 256MB "128-bit" GDDR2 PCI Low Profile Video Card

The first version of conventional PCI found in consumer desktop computers was a 32-bit bus using a 33 MHz bus clock and 5 V signalling, although the PCI 1.0 standard provided for a 64-bit variant as well.

So I ask you where you got your info??

17 Posts

February 21st, 2014 11:00

Thanks for this info as well! I have been reading alot where the theme seems to be you can't use a newer graphics card in an older computer like the GX240! Now that I know this I will look more closely at the Zotac. It looks like a good card, but I was put off by the 64-bit thing.

17 Posts

The Zotac is better than either of those cards, and it's a lot cheaper, too.

I did see that it is $10 less than the AGP version of the ATI Radeon HD 3450. I looked for a compatibility list on their site, but didn't find one. I will look more closely at the Zotac. I may have to email them to be certain it will work with this computer before I shell out $60.

I want to thank all of you who have kept this thread alive. I have learned much for the effort. I do need to say that, while I am not a hardware geek by any stretch, I do have some background. I had to be able to pass the A+ certification test (though I never did take it due to lack of funds to pay the fee), but I have long since forgotten most of what I learned about hardware because I never used it. However, I do remember some things, and your help has allowed me to remember a few more things. That said, I did not know that AGP had gone the way of the dinosaurs.

17 Posts

As I stated in another post, it is the mini-tower version. Thanks for the tidbit about card sizes (now I know the difference).

The Radeon HD 3450 as listed on the http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&cat=all&k=Optiplex+GX240 page says it is a PCI card. Are you saying that there is a AGP version of this card available? If so, give me a link so I can see it. OK, I searched Dell for the part number you show, Dell Part# A5470387. It is definitely a AGP version of the PCI card. It is also only $69.99, compared with $124.99 for the PCI version. Why is it that this card is not listed on the parts list page?? http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&cat=all&k=Dell+Part%23+A5470387

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

The Zotac is better than either of those cards, and it's a lot cheaper, too.

VisionTEK is an expensive brand.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

The GX240 has PCI and AGP.  Do Not confuse the AGP with PCI-E because they look similar but they are not.

Manufacturer Part# 900374
Dell Part# A5470387
Compatibility
This product is compatible with the following systems:
Dimension 4500
Dimension 4550 (400MHz Front Side Bus)
Dimension 4550 (533MHz Front Side Bus)
Dimension 4600 (APG Video Card)
Dimension 8300
OptiPlex GX240 MT
OptiPlex GX260 MT
OptiPlex GX270 MT
Precision Workstation 340
Precision Workstation 350

ONLY WORKS IN GX240 TOWER.  The pci card works in ANY Gx240
because its low profile, PCI, and has both brackets.  You can use 32 bit 33mhz PCI.  YOU CANNOT USE 64 BIT PCI-E on a GX240.
 The memory Interface 64 bit refer's to the GPU not your dell.
There are 64 bit and 128 bit and 256 bit and 512 bit cards.

Dell Part# A3082456

However its price is more than a better machine.  The GX620 will run Windows XP / VISTA / 7 / 8

Adding an inexpensive Radeon 5450 to a GX620 and you are good to go for many more years.

17 Posts

The GX240 has PCI and AGP.  Do Not confuse the AGP with PCI-E because they look similar but they are not.

I notice that the PCIe slot does look alot like a AGP slot. As far as I know from the system hardware page created by My Dell, I have a AGP slot for the video card and the rest are PCI slots, not PCIe.

ONLY WORKS IN GX240 TOWER.  The pci card works in ANY Gx240
because its low profile, PCI, and has both brackets.  You can use 32 bit 33mhz PCI.  YOU CANNOT USE 64 BIT PCI-E on a GX240.
 The memory Interface 64 bit refer's to the GPU not your dell.
There are 64 bit and 128 bit and 256 bit and 512 bit cards.

Dell Part# A3082456

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Are you saying that there is a AGP version of this card available?

There is, but it is considered a legacy product by its manufacturer, and the drivers are buggy "hotfix" versions that never worked properly. The 3XXX series graphics chip was designed around the PCI Express bus, and special 'bridge' chips are needed to adapt it to PCI and AGP. The GT610 is in a similar situation, but since there is still a market for newly-designed PCI video cards, nVidia (the manufacturer) has an incentive to bundle it with quality, stable drivers.

Dimension 8300 users are reporting success with the Zotac, but no one with a GX240 has tried yet. Newegg has a good RMA policy in the event that it doesn't work. On the other hand, if it does work, you will have a modern graphics processor that will enhance your Web browsing experience, with support for streaming video and Flash acceleration, among others.

The notion that older PCs can't have their video updated is mostly myth. I helped two Dimension 8300 users upgrade to the Zotac, one with XP and one with Windows 7, and both were pleased.

No Events found!