Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2013 12:00

Graphics cards compatible with XPS 8700?

Hello, 

I recently purchased the Dell XPS 8700 desktop with the specs

-4th gen I5, 12gb RAM, 1TB harddrive, AMD 7570 graphics card.

I was wondering which graphics cards are compatible with my system , i was specifically thinking of getting the Nvidia GT 640.

If anyone can answer that will be greatly appreciated.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2013 12:00

Hello,

I wanted to buy a Dell XPS 8700 desktop but i want to upgrade the video card

-4th gen I5, 12gb RAM, 1TB harddrive, AMD 7570 graphics card.

Would EVGA GeForce GTX770 SuperClocked with EVGA ACX Cooler, 2GB GDDR5 256bit work with this desktop?

Thank you for helping!

July 18th, 2013 14:00

Hi ahsang,

Dell has not tested the above video card with XPS 8700. I did some research and found that a few users were able to successfully use the GTX 770 video card with XPS 8700. Also, based on technical specifications it should work with the system.

XPS 8700 is shipped with latest UEFI BIOS. If the video card BIOS does not support UEFI, it might not work with the system. In that case, either a video card BIOS update from manufacturer will fix the problem or you may disable UEFI Secure Boot in XPS 8700 to get the video card working.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2013 14:00

Thank you so much for the answer!

GTX770 does in fact support UEFI. Sounds like I am good to go!

4 Posts

July 18th, 2013 15:00

OH!

That is good to know! Do I need to switch anything else out since I am switching to a 600W power supply? Will it fry the computer?

4 Posts

Also, will this power supply unit fit in XPS 8700?

www.amazon.com/.../ref=de_a_smtd

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Hi ahsang,

I am glad you found the information helpful.

Feel free to reach us if you have any further questions.

Hi ahsang,

Would like to add that XPS 8700 is shipped with 460W power supply. However, EVGA GTX 770 have power requirement of atleast 600W (Refer to specifications Here). So, you may consider upgrading power supply as well.

For adding replacing parts, you may refer to XPS 8700 Owner's Manual Here.

Note : Please refer to safety instructions given in manual before replacing the parts.

July 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi ahsang,

No, you need not switch anything else and neither will the power supply incur any harm to computer. Different components on system have different power requirements. The power supply provide power to each component and should be powerful enough to provide sufficient power to these components. Failing which, the system might not power on or even if it does, you may experience sudden power off.

XPS 8700 is shipped with a standard ATX cabinet and should be able to accommodate an ATX power supply. Based on specifications of the given power supply it should work with your system. However, Dell has not tested XPS 8700 with third party hardware. Warranty per say, issues arising due to the upgrade will not be covered under warranty , however we will continue providing support for other issues and parts.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

9 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 08:00

Sundeep , i bought the 650 ti amp edition and when i tried to install it in my xps 8700 there were two cable that i needed to connect to my gfx card but they were not there, my graphics card looks identical to this:

www.youtube.com/watch

Please help.

July 23rd, 2013 12:00

Hi Yan12345,

You need not use the Y cable power connector that came with video card to supply the power. XPS 8700 PSU have an integrated 6 pin connector for supplying power to the video card. you may connect that connector to the video card.

Hope this helps.

6 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 19:00

Question to 2004_4600 or anyone who can answer it.

I am interested in buying the XPS 8700.  In a previous post 2004_4600 quoted data from "Dell's Environmental Data sheets" regarding noise levels during operation.

Noise is a factor for me, so I looked for that data and was not able to find any such data concerning either the XPS 8500 or the XPS 8700.  I was able to find a pdf file that contained "Declared Noise Emission" for various Optiplex 755 systems.

Can you direct me to a link that contains such information, and further, can anyone who actually has the XPS 8700 shed some light on the issue, i.e., how noisy it is?  I am looking to get a system with high performance graphics card, something like the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 1.5G GDDR5 and would be very thankful for helpful information.

Thanks in advance!

July 24th, 2013 15:00

On nvidia's website the power supply requirements are 500watts

July 24th, 2013 17:00

Hi vnilwocp,

As such I was unable to find a datasheet that mentions about noise levels. However, I did some research and found that most of the users have considered XPS 8700 as a quiet and fast machine. GTX 660 video card is a powerful card capable of rendering high graphics along with good framerates. You may refer to its review Here.

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2013 20:00

The power requirements question didn't get answered, but I asked the same question today, and happened to come across it here, so I'll take a crack at it (forgive me if this is bad form given the thread is so old)      The power requirements are referring to the power supply itself.   if a card reads "600w" and you have a 600w power supply, your good to go.  (correct?)  

Edit:  I've been reading quite a bit about gpu's and psu's lately, and am curious about the lead's that come with gpu's to be powered off of the motherboard (it was mentioned above)....  Is it generally considered ok to use them?   or a lead directly from a replacement psu be preferable (i'm just guessing you can do this... power the gpu directly from the replacement psu)?

September 13th, 2013 22:00

Hi Nawesemo,

If we only consider power requirements of GPU, it might be anywhere between 100W to 250W depending upon the GPU. The power supply requirements are generally much higher than the power draw of video card as PSU has to supply power to other components of system as well. So, if a card reads 600W, it might work on 500W PSU as well, however, it might lead to sudden power loss as the video card would be under-powered during load (for ex while playing games, running graphics intensive applications like photoshop, 3ds MAX, AutoCAD etc).

The power cable connector that comes with GPU's also draw power from the PSU and not from motherboard. Only video cards with low power requirements draw power from PCI express connector of motherboard. It does not matter whether you use the power connectors that came with GPU or the power cable coming from PSU for supplying power to GPU. Both of them draw power directly from PSU. However, with some video cards the power connectors come with a molex connectors and some modern power supplies do not have enough molex connectors so you might have to use the power connector from power supply.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!