Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 18th, 2005 22:00

Graphics upgrade for 4100

Hi. I want to get a new graphics card for my Dimension 4100. The only upgrade I have made is bringing my RAM up to 384MB. Honestly, my reason for wanting a new graphics card is only to play Call of Duty! When I try to play it, I get a message saying my graphics card is inadequate. I am really not looking to spend much money here, but I would like to play this game without the screen jerking around all over the place. I really know nothing about these cards except that they range from $20 to $600! If someone could give me a couple of suggestions for cards that would meet my needs and also fit my system, that would be much appreciated. Thank you.

-mikeize

623 Posts

July 18th, 2005 22:00

4 Posts

July 18th, 2005 23:00

Thanks for the tip. Am I correct though, that I need a PCI card, and not AGP? Also, if I buy the same model from say... PNY (to save money), will I be losing that much quality? Remember, I am a fairly casual gamer here... thanks again!

-mike

4 Posts

sorry, something else... is it true that my system can only use up to 64MB on the graphics card?

-mike

68 Posts

your 4100 can support agp cards, it's ok for you to have it upgraded up to 64mb videocard, preferably geforce4 or ati radeon cards, and also it's better to change or increase your system ram to at least 512mb minimum for gaming. that will cost you at around $200-$250. Ü

4 Posts

July 19th, 2005 00:00

. PNY GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / White Box Video Card

is this ok for my system? AGP 8X? Sorry, I really know nothing about this... thank you!

mike

July 19th, 2005 00:00

I've got a 4100 and it can take an agp card or pci, mine came with an agp card, agp would be the way to go me thinks. According to my 4100 manual it supports agp66mhz and pci33mhz, one universal connector that supports agp 2X or 4X expansion cards, agp connector data width: 32bits (max). Hope that helps a bit.

As for your second question I wish to find that out for myself as well, I'm guessing the amount of ram on the card don't matter much, but you might want to check if the new card will be compatible with your operating system, cpu speed and if is compatible with agp 2.0, and 2x/4x agp compatible. That's about the only advice I can give on the subject, I'm looking to upgrade mine as well and am in need of advice.
No Events found!