Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2017 10:00

HDD misidentified as a SSD

Hello,

My system misidentifies my HDD as a SSD, so I have not been able to defrag my HDD.

My Configuration: XPS-2720, Intel i7-4770S,16GB DDR3 1600 mhz, NVIDIA GT 750M, 2TB HDD + 32GB MSATA SSD (hybrid drive). Windows 10 Pro with BIOS A13 dated 11/13/15. I suspect the latest series of Windows updates since I was able to defrag my HDD a couple of months ago. I checked my PC in “safe mode” and the system correctly identifies the drive as a HDD. Also checked my latest Drivers and Bios and they all seem to be up to date. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks

June 25th, 2017 08:00

Hi SKYHUNGRY ,

Go to device manager and see how the disk drive is identified. Does it show as the SSD?

Run WinSat formal in elevated command prompt.

WinSat formal runs a pre-defined set of assessments and saves the data to an XML file in %systemroot%\performance\winsat\datastore and it also helps in rescanning the disks and reset the disk back to normal.

Let me know if that helps.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 25th, 2017 09:00

The system is set up as RAID between the SSD that caches and the hard drive that stores the data.  Because of that, the system sees the setup as an SSD and defragmentation will not run (it's not needed;  it's handled on the fly by the Intel RAID driver).

3 Posts

June 27th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the suggestion. The device manager identifies the disk as SSD. Ran WinSAT still shows as SSD.

3 Posts

June 27th, 2017 09:00

Seems logical. The only concern I have is that this was not the case a few months ago when the drive  was identified as a HDD and I was able to defrag it. I do not know what changed other than a few W10 updates. I'll  see if I can determine what else might have changed. Thanks

No Events found!