Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2017 07:00

HDMI errors on XPS 630i

Son is running Windows 10 on an xps630i and we upgraded his graphics card to the msi geforce 1060 3g as well as adding a new dell se2417hgr monitor for Christmas.  Ever since, we get the hdmi not connected on the monitor after about 5 min and have to force shut down and wait at least 30 min before trying again.  Software was all downloaded from manuf. websites and bios was updated for graphics card.  Have tried other hdmi cords as well as other screens with same result.  Have also replaced the graphics card with a new.  Any ideas from anyone?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 24th, 2017 10:00

Too much heat generated by the 1060 board and/or it's overloading the power supply?

What's the wattage of the PSU vs. what's recommended for that card?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 24th, 2017 11:00

And also keep in mind that Dell hasn't tested the 630i for compatibility with Win 10, so there could be other problems, eg with drivers, causing these problems.

"Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected."

4 Posts

January 24th, 2017 12:00

I did read that on Dell's site but it had been running 10 for almost a year prior to this upgrade.  I expected it may be glitchy but to not work at all is a different story and dell won't talk without $$$ :(.

4 Posts

January 24th, 2017 12:00

I'm not that computer smart, wattage unknown, how do I check?   but the guy that built the computer for me said it shouldn't be a problem.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 24th, 2017 14:00

... but the guy that built the computer for me said it shouldn't be a problem. 

Not sure what you mean about the guy who built the PC for you.  Did you have somebody install the upgraded video card for you, or did you mean something else?

The power supply in the 630i is 750 Watts, which I guess should be enough but confirm what the video card specs require.

If it worked ok before these upgrades, then maybe the guy who did them should fix things.  For example, does that video card require a connection directly to the PSU and is it connected? Were new drivers installed for the video card?

I don't see the SE2417HGR monitor you listed on Dell's support site. I only see an SE2417HG (without the R). Dell doesn't have a Win 10 driver for the SE2417HG, so what/any monitor driver was installed? The last one I see is for Win 8.1, and I don't know if that one will/won't work with Win 10.

Since you made multiple changes at once, can you try using the PC with the previous monitor connected? If PC works ok with old monitor, then the problem is with the new one. If PC won't work with old monitor then you're back to video card compatibility, drivers, and/or heat

The manual doesn't say what version of PCI-e the PC uses, but you need to see what PCI-e version the new video card requires. It's a recent card and may not be backward compatible with the version of PCI-e supported by the PC...

4 Posts

January 25th, 2017 05:00

We got this PC from a friend, he built it years ago for himself and gave it to my son as he has upgraded several times since then. I did these upgrades myself. He is so busy at work (traveling) that he has been unable to come help with this.

Graphics card only requires 400w so we are ok there.

All connections are there, double checked with MSI directly on that and new drivers were installed including the bios update for it.

I saw the same thing you did on the monitor, was told that the driver was one in the same for both models so went with that, it was on self detect through dell.  I have tried other monitors and it does the same with them so we know it is not the monitor.  MSI was nice enough to replace the graphics card thinking it was possibly the HDMI port being faulty and still the same.

What is PCI-e?  

Thanks so much for your help, this not so techy mom really appreciates it!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 25th, 2017 08:00

The 1060 is a PCI-E  version 3.0 card and the 630i is a PCI-E 2.0 chipset so there are likely power issues based on this alone.  PCI-E draws power on more than the 12v rails aka 3.3v rails.

This is why the Dell 875W power supplies have 225W on that set of rails.  Power supplies cannot be viewed as a single bus and a single spec of WATTS.   The dell 750 has 220W on this rail.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 25th, 2017 10:00

Thanks SpeedStep...

That's what I was afraid of, the card is newer version of PCI-e than supported by the PC, so this card is not going to work for you in this PC...

No Events found!