Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2011 08:00

HDMI issue - 580 Inspirion - Dual Monitors?

Hi - I'm trying to connect two monitors to a desktop - the Dell Inspirion 580.  It has two ports - a VGA & a HDMI on the back of the case - and the VGA port works just fine.  I connected a monitor with an HDMI cable and the monitor says 'no signal'. 

I tried the following variations:

Tried ONLY one monitor using the HDMI connection - no signal.

Restarted the computer with the monitor connected - no signal.  Restarted the computer with the monitor disconnected, then connected - no signal.

There is nothing in the Bios of this system that I could find to 'turn on' dual monitor options.

If I go into the intel graphics & media control panel - it doesn't recognize a second monitor attached through the HDMI port.

I'm considering either buying/installing a video card - or picking up a USB to VGA adapter and going that route - but I'd like to see if this is a short between the keyboard and chair (me!) or if this desktop isn't capable of running dual monitors straight out of the box. 

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 8th, 2011 17:00

It will work IF you have a separate, discrete video card. If you have hdmi and vga on an integrated card, it won't. Sounds like you have the standard integrated card which is "either/or" but not both. You have to add a separate card with dual monitor support and disable the integrated graphics.

4 Posts

April 11th, 2011 10:00

Thanks Mary - that was what I thought was the issue - I'm getting a video card for it.

4 Posts

I talked with a Dell Chat guy on Friday and he gave me two recommendations for video cards that will work with this system.   

It's a work pc - and with my office I'm usually multi-tasking to a crazy degree - the dual monitors just allow me to save time trying to figure out 'where I was' in proofing a document, or reviewing an excel form, or the other 14K worth of stuff going on.. ;-)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Choose one that doesn't overload your power supply--not an easy thing to do now. The power supply on these models is usually around 300w--very limited for today's cards. IMO dual monitors are overkill for everyday use and really are better used with higher powered, faster gaming computers.

1 Message

July 11th, 2011 06:00

Can you please tell me which card you purchased? Ran into the same problem when trying to add a new monitor (Viewsonic 2028wm) to the Inspiron 580. Glad to read you solved the problem.

4 Posts

July 19th, 2011 12:00

ATI Radeon HD 5450

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-ATI-Radeon-HD5450-Silence/dp/B003AK2HJO

It works great! 

No Events found!