Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

January 3rd, 2010 14:00

HELP, I NEED TO DO A FULL SYSTEM RECOVERY AND NOTHING IS WORKING

CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO RESTORE MY DELL DIMENSION BACK TO FACTORY SETTINGS. IS ALL I NEED IS THE WINDOES XP OS DISC AND MY RESOURCE CD TO DO IT? I NEVER MADE A RECOVERY CD WHEN I GOT MY COMPUTER AND AM NOT SURE WHAT I NEED TO DO? I KEEP GETTING A MSG THAT SAYS HARD ERROR EVERYTIME I TRY TO INSTALL WINDOWS FROM THE WINDOWS OS DISC. DO I NEED TO DO FDISK AND DELETE THE PARTITIONS BEFORE I USE THE WINDOWS DISK?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 14:00

HAILEYHAN

What is the computer model?

Dell's procedures for a manual reinstall of windows is HERE

Bev.

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 15:00

THANKS FOR THE HELP, BUT WHEN I TRY THAT THE WINDOWS XP OS DISK SAYS IT IS STARTING UP BUT THEN FAILS AND THERROR JUST SAYS

"HARD ERROR". ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 16:00

THANKS FOR THE HELP, BUT WHEN I TRY THAT THE WINDOWS XP OS DISK SAYS IT IS STARTING UP BUT THEN FAILS AND THERROR JUST SAYS

"HARD ERROR". ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

HAILEYHAN

Sorry, but cannot really help, without the computer model.

Bev.

155 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 18:00

Three things:

1. Post your computer's model number, as Bev has twice requested.

2. Do a Google search on "install XP' and "hard error", and you will find a number of approaches to solving the problem.

3. Please do not post in ALL CAPITALS, as it is considered to be shouting and a bit rude,  and is hard to read.

Bob N.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 4th, 2010 07:00

Hard error ????

Do you mean Hard disk error?

5 Posts

January 4th, 2010 07:00

o.k sorry about the all caps thing.

my computer is a dell dimension 2400 series. any help anyone can give me is very much appreciated.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2010 08:00

When I insert my windows xp os disc to manually install it, it says it is loading all the programs and then says starting up windows.

But then it just stops and i get an error that says

"stop, hard error"

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 4th, 2010 09:00

HAILEYHAN

First check that power and data cables are properly connected to the IDE hard drive, by removing and reseating them.

No difference, then use the Drivers and Utilities disc that was shipped with 2400 package and run Dell Diagnostics extended test on the hard drive.

The procedure for using Diagnostics, is HERE

Bev.

5 Posts

January 12th, 2010 12:00

ok I found out what my problem was. it was the O.S. disc for windows xp that shipped with my computer was damaged. Does anyone know if i install windows xp home version from someone else can i use my product key from my computer to activate it?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2010 13:00

HAILEYHAN

You can use another Dell OEM reinstallation disc, providing it's the same version that was factory installed, or if you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Bev.

No Events found!