Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2013 09:00

HELP!XPS 8700 Special Edition Desktop Windows System 32\Drivers\etc

Hello All,

I just received my XPS 8700 Special Edition Desktop a few days ago. It comes with Win 7 Pro OS. I was trying to go into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc to make some changes to the hosts file. I use Notepad to open the hosts file, made some changes, and saved it, However, it would not allow me to save, saying I need Administrator's permission to do this. I was logged in the computer as the Administrator, and I also changed the Security properties so that the Administrator (myself) has the FULL CONTROL over this folder and its sub-folders. Still, it would not let me to save the Hosts file. So I went back to the Windows folder, right click -Properties, wanted to click off the Read Only in Attributes, and the computer told me I need permission again, I clicked continue, permission again, so I click Ignore all to proceed, it started to applied the change, and in the middle of the process, a error message pop out, won't continue the process. Sorry about the non-professional description of my situation, I am not a computer savvy, just a regular user with limited computer knowledge. Hope you guys could understand the problems. Can someone help me solve my question? I just want to make changes to the Host file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc . Thank you all very much!!!:emotion-2:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc  must be edited as an administrator. There is also a DNS Cache.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache 

Why do you want to edit the hosts file?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Why do you want to do that?

18 Posts

Thank you SpeedStep~! So how would I change the read only attributes for the Windows folder?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

support.microsoft.com/.../923947

When you try to change the Hosts file or the Lmhosts file in Microsoft Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you may receive an error message that resembles either of the following.

Error message 1

Access to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ hosts was denied

Error message 2

Cannot create the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

Make sure that the path and file name are correct.

This issue occurs even though you log on by using an account that has administrative credentials.

18 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 10:00

Thank you , SpeedStep, I was trying to unable Adobe Update.

No Events found!