Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2010 03:00

[HELP] XPS730 bios checksum error

hello this morning i got BIOS problem, it begin when the PC crash by itself

then when i start up the system again, there is random character on BIOS screen,

i tried to reset CMOS but didnt work, it said CMOS checksum error

i also tried to reflash the BIOS using the tools that on dell download page,but the tool said unknown type... so it wont let me to reflash the bios

is there a way to force the tools to reflash the bios ?

please i really need HELP!!

thanks in advance

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 5th, 2010 03:00

If there is a BIOS corruption or failure, as it seems from your post, the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard.  If this is still in warranty contact Dell support.

100 Posts

January 5th, 2010 04:00

i didnt really sure what happen... either i got malware attack my bios or other else, i use both Windows Defender + AVG internet security

now DELL bios post screen full random character...

and i also get Floppy disk fail .. alert audio cable not connected

what bad for me is that, i moved to another country last year, so i dont know if dell want to cover warranty in the country i stay now

i think this issue can be fixed, if i can reflash the bios again

trying to boot from cd but not working... i can boot from system rescue CD though

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 5th, 2010 05:00

Try to clear the BIOS again.  Remove the battery for at least 30 minutes and disconnect the PC from the AC power then push in on the power switch for about 30 sectonds.

It appears some parts of it are working.  Can you get into the BIOS (F2) ?  You can then fix the Floppy disk error by disabling it (it was enabled by the BIOS reset).  The audio cable alert is another issue.  There are big threads with that problem - it happens on systems that do not have a BIOS problem.

Looking at the BIOS installation instructions, there is nothing about flashing the BIOS from Disc, the instructions are only for flashing from Windows.

100 Posts

January 5th, 2010 07:00

thank you for the help!!

yes i can get into bios... but there random character in the screen, i barely can see what each setting for, and yes i got floppy and audio fixed, but the random character still there

i will follow your guide now and update what i found after done :emotion-1:

100 Posts

January 5th, 2010 10:00

tried what u told just now, but the bios still got random character

i believe this is due corrupted bios data...

as if i log to safe mode, random character dissapear on windows screen

100 Posts

January 5th, 2010 14:00

after few test..

i finally starting to think that the one broke is vga card...

Because i see lines when entering windows.... although i can enter windows, but sometimes the windows just crash

then after few tries bios reflash, i figure out that the bios sometimes can detect and sometimes cant... i dunno why, but at least i can reflash bios

i will grab new VGA in few days and update the result

as the current that come with my xps730 is 9800GT

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 5th, 2010 14:00

That was going to be my next suggestion - the video card.  But, before you buy a new one, Reseat the Video card and see if that helps.  Reseat - with the PC powered off, open the case and remove the Video card, then reinstall it.  See if that helps.

100 Posts

January 8th, 2010 10:00

thanks for the help fireberd

i tried by reseating the VGA and plugging to another available PCIe  but not works

so i grab a new VGA  (Gigabyte ATI 5850) and it solve the problem (random character on bios)

While its most obvious that the VGA die, i wonder if there bug in bios too, why i am telling this is because my Asus Xonar D2X also got issue, its Eeprom flashed (which i need to reflash using tools that i got from http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure)

I dont know why this happen too, maybe just coincidence

Beside VGA and Xonar issue, there no other issue atm (well there minor system crash in windows, seems because some registery left over from nvidia driver)  the system back to normal now

What i learn is, its enuf for me to use nvidia parts in my pc... at least for while... nvidia chipset, vga and their driver got many issues...

next time i get my pc, it will intel with ATI inside :emotion-2:

No Events found!