Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2009 23:00

HUGE PROBLEM!!

i CAN NOT GET MY DESK TOP TO LOAD. IT WILL TURN ON, GO TO:

FLOPPY DISKETTE SEEK FAILURE ALERT!   SYSTEM BATTERY VOLTAGE IS LOW. STRIKE THE F1 KEY TO CONTINUE, F2 TO RUN THE SETUP UTILITY. 

I HIT F1:

WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY SCREEN:

WINDOWS FAILED TO LOAD.

(LET IT SIT, AND IT GIVES ME A BLACK SCREEN WITH THE BAR ON THE BOTTOM THAT MAKES IT LOOK LIKE IT IS DOING SOMETHING, BUT NEVER DOES.)

i DONT REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED SEVERAL MONTHS AGO TO MAKE IT GET TO THIS POINT (IT HAPPENED AND I PUT IT IN STORAGE TILL NOW).

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? THE DESKTOP IS A DIM. 8400.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 26th, 2009 03:00

First, do not use all capitals, it is considered shouting on this and many other internet forums.  Plus all capitals is harder to read.

It looks like the BIOS battery is the problem and the BIOS (setup) has to be reset.  First thing you will have to do is replace the CR2032 coin cell battery on the motherboard.  That battery is available almost anywhere - Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Radio Shack, etc.

Then when you first boot up, hit F2 to enter the BIOS (setup).  You can then reset the BIOS as needed to get it back operating.  HERE is the Dell manual and the BIOS instructions.   There should be an option to reset the BIOS, may say "Default" or "Factory Default" or some similar statement.  You can try that first and it may restore the BIOS without having to manually reset anything.

5 Posts

January 26th, 2009 09:00

1) Sorry about the caps. I was not shouting at anyone. :emotion-1:

2) I will at some point run out and pick up a battery. Hopefully thats all it needs and just saved my $50! LOL I will let you know in a few days what happens.

Thank you!! :emotion-55:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 26th, 2009 11:00

varsy

First try replacing the battery on the motherboard, you need a 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell, this can be purchased from a Radio Shack, WalMart, or most pharmacies, etc.

The procedures to replace the battery are HERE

Check the reading of the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

What is the sequence of the diagnostic lights on the back panel of the case, see HERE.

Bev.

5 Posts

January 26th, 2009 16:00

OK, where to start!?!?

After replacing the battery, I was finally able to get this stupid thing to do Something! It finally deceided it was going to read the XP disc. So I have spent all day tryign to get it to load.

1st Error Message (after install from CD)

Error:

Installation failed : D:\1386\asms. Error message   Accessis Denied

Fatal Error:

One of the components that windows needs to contuine set up could not be installed.

Now, i some how manged to find the Symptom Tree and have been running the tests on "cannot boot the OS" and so far this has come up:

Sata disk s/n= WD-WCAL 93903295 - Read Test

Error code 0f00:0244

Erroer Msg Bbck 51269177: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Currently running test:  Sata disk s/n= wd-wcal 93903295 read test.

Any ideas what is going on??? Is my desk top fixable??

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 26th, 2009 18:00

varsy

The hard drive has failed and you need to replace it.

Bev.

5 Posts

January 28th, 2009 15:00

ok,

i replaced the hard drive, upgraded the memory and the video card. I am still getting a error message that the Floppy diskette seek failure. NOW WHAT???!!! Please help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2009 11:00

varsy

If you don't have a floppy drive installed, check in the System Setup, to see if the 'Diskette Drive' is set to 'off'.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2009 21:00

varsy

Pleased to hear that the problem has been resolved.

Bev.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2009 21:00

Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone that helped me through my computer issue. With all your help, I am back up and running.

THANK YOU!!! 

No Events found!