Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2017 17:00

Hard Drive replacement

Hi.. I have a Inspiron One 2305 that came with a 1TB drive that died.  I replaced it with a 500GB SSD drive since I really didn't need 1 TB.  I have the recovery disks that I created when I bought the machine.  Started the recovery process and I get an error saying that the drive needs to be at least 931GB.  Even with the 1TB drive, I never even went past 200GB.  Is there any way around this?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 11th, 2017 17:00

Given the age of thee system, the backup was likely made with Dell Backup and Recovery -- which cannot restore to a drive smaller than the one from which the image was made.  What you CAN do IF you have a 1T hard drive (or purchase one) is restore to that - and then use another utility such as the free version of Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, Easus Todo backup, etc. that CAN image to a smaller drive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 20th, 2017 08:00

put a 1tb laptop drive in and restore then use usb Sata wire to clone the 1tb to the 500 SSD.

https://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA/

33 Posts

October 26th, 2017 03:00

If the old hard drive can get used, you can try some third party software to create system backup image or disk backup image. The image will be smaller than the one you created, but since it can be used, the best solution is to buy a new hard drive more than 931gb to restore everything back.

33 Posts

October 26th, 2017 03:00

If your old hard drive can still use, you can try some third party software to create system image and then restore to the new SSD. But since it can be used, the best solution is to buy another hard drive more than 931gb to restore everything back.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 26th, 2017 04:00

The dell recovery partitions are encrypted.  They cannot be cloned.  They sit at the front of the drive and use 12 gigs of space.

No Events found!