Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2010 10:00

Hard disc temperature

Hi.

I have a four year old Dimension 9150 with a WD 1600JS-75NCB1 hard disc. I have recently installed Acronis drive monitor, which gives the disc a 100 percent bill of health but shows the disc temperature  varying between 50 and 55 deg.C at ambient temps of around 25 C. - above the "alert level"

Should I be worried or is this sort of temperature acceptable for this equipment?  (The computer is used for simple domestic purposes for up to around an hour or two at a time)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 18th, 2010 12:00

Greybeard0151

You can find the Operating Temperatures of the WD1600JS hard drive HERE

Bev.

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

June 18th, 2010 13:00

If I might add a suggestion:

My WD2500JS has the same temperature specs (5-55C) but I've never seen it go above 35C - usually it runs around 30C.    I'd be inclined to get a second opinion with a program that sees more than just HD temperature - your CPU and Video card might be running a bit hot as well.   Couple programs I use on XP to check temps on my XPS 410 (basically just a Dimension 9200, one up from a 9150).

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

June 18th, 2010 14:00

Thanks to Shesagordie and Alexandra for your prompt replies.

Very helpful

Bob

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 18th, 2010 14:00

Greybeard0151

:emotion-21:

Bev.

June 18th, 2010 15:00

Just as an update, I've downloaded Speedfan which seems to agree with the disc temp shown by Acronis.

Trying to do anything more with Speedfan will probably take me take be about a week to  work out :emotion-42:    I'll have a further look tomorrow if I can find time .

Bob

5.8K Posts

June 20th, 2010 08:00

Bob,

I have both the 9100 and 9200 which are nearly identical to your 9150.  My HD's always run very cool given the design and cooling of those machines.  55 sounds very hot and unusual.

You might want to check to see if the HD is really that hot.  I would expect it to feel quite hot to the touch which would not be good.

Also make sure that the lower fan is working.  It blows cool air directly over the HDs.  However, I wouldn't expect the HDs to be that hot even with the fan off.

I would try a different HD in your 9150 and try the hot HD in another machine to see if it is the machine or the HD.

Peter

June 21st, 2010 03:00

Peter, thanks for your reply.

Regrettably, this is a one computer (and one user) household and we do not realistically have access to other machines or parts. Also, as the days when I enjoyed playing with small electrical gadgets are now long past, I don't feel confident of being able to take out/replace discs etc.

There is a flow of air into the lower grid at the front of the machine so I guess the lower fan is working - maybe it needs cleaning. Currently, I find that if it gets to 54, it then drops a few degrees and stays there a while.

For now I think I shall just keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn't exceed 55 and hope for the best; after all, it may well be that it has been like this for years!

Thanks again.

Bob

August 4th, 2010 02:00

Just in case it might be of interest to someone, this is the current (and I hope final) position on my hard drive.

During some recent hot weather the disc temperature started to climb quickly to around 58C  having started at around 38C, so I called in a friendly neighbourhood computer expert.

He opened the computer while it was running and though it was showing a temp. in the fifties, the disc (and everything else) felt barely warm to the touch. After a bit of thought it was agreed that the problem is probably a faulty chip in the HDD sending  false data.

At least I can now stop worrying.  :emotion-1:

Bob

November 18th, 2010 20:00

If I might add a suggestion:

My WD2500JS has the same temperature specs (5-55C) but I've never seen it go above 35C - usually it runs around 30C. I'd be inclined to get a second opinion with a program that sees more than just HD temperature - your CPU and Video card might be running a bit hot as well. Couple programs I use on XP to check temps on my XPS 410 (basically just a Dimension 9200, one up from a 9150).

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

Thanks for your sharing! I understand this part, It's very detailed.
No Events found!