Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2011 04:00

Hard drive issues

I have two hard drives installed one of them has windows 7 the other is running Vista.  I used the Vista hard drive to back up my windows 7 files. All was going perfectly well for about a year.  Tried to turn on the computer one day, after eventually getting it going the Vista/back up drive is no longer recognised by my computer, I cant do back ups as a result but more perculiarly the Vista drive needs to be plugged in for the Windows 7 drive to boot.  If I unplug the Vista/back up drive while the computer is on (Windows 7) there is no problem with disconnecting it.  Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 26th, 2011 04:00

Hi Shimlag,

Sounds like one of your drives is bad. I'd run the Dell diagnostics to check.

The boot.ini file is on your bad drive. That's why it won't load. You could try a repair installation of Win 7 on the good drive. That should work.

7 Posts

November 26th, 2011 09:00

Hello osprey4

Thanks for your reply.  

My windows 7 installation disc doesnt allow me the option to repair windows 7.  I want to avoid re-installing windows 7 and all my programs if I can, however if that is the only way to fix the issue then so be it.  Any further thoughts?

Regards, Shimlag

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 26th, 2011 15:00

Your disk doesn't give you the "Repair Your Computer" link/option at all (on the "Install Now" page)??  If that is the case, then download different media to attempt a Startup Repair, as you may have corrupt media (all disks should have it):

www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium

If you mean that you do have that option, but when you run it, the repair does not work, then let us know what you tried and what the outcomes were (error messages, etc.).  A little more information about what exactly it is doing would also be helpful.

As osprey said, it may still be a bad drive.  Have you tested them?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 28th, 2011 09:00

Windows will not let you repair 32 bit with 64 bit DVD. And it wont let WIN7 Repair Vista Installs or Vice versa.

7 Posts

Hello theflash Thanks for your input.The old Vista disk i have does have the repair option, however my Windows 7 64bit does not (its possible Im being blind). Im downloading the Windows 7 64bit from your link.  I'll keep you posted. Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

No problem ... when booting to the Windows 7 DVD, where you see the button Install Now, down in the bottom-left corner is a Repair Your Computer link.  Good luck.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 28th, 2011 10:00

The Repair Your Computer link will still be present though when booting to the disk, but good point ... make sure you download the 32-bit/64-bit version that matches what you have installed (if you didn't already think about it).

7 Posts

November 30th, 2011 13:00

Hello theflash,   I now have a spare copy of Windows 7 (from your link) which cannot be a bad thing. However the "Repair your computer" link is not present, just  "What to know before installing windows", which isnt any help. When I click install I get;   copyjng temporary files, then important updates, then the window with the upgrade or custom option.  

The only other message the computer gave me whilst I was trying to boot with one HD unplugged, was something to do with POST.   I could probably recreate it & be more spesific if you think its important.

I havent mixed up 32bit & 64bit.(its 64bit).

Thanks again, still confused, Shimlag

No Events found!