Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2009 19:00

Hard drive startup failure

I had to remove the 40 gig hard drive on my 8100 to recover pictures.  Now when I plug it in and try to startup the computer it gets to a point where it says something to the effect that the drive doesn't meet requirements and I should contact dell.  I can pull it off and run it via USB cable on my laptop.

Any suggestions on how to get around this startup issue?

thanks

14.4K Posts

March 14th, 2009 19:00

Was the driver bad to begin with and that is why you pulled it?

2 Posts

March 15th, 2009 08:00

No.  Hard drive got infected by something from one of the kids game cheat download sites.  In trying to clean everything I accidently deleted a folder with all of the wife's pictures.  The only way to recover it was using software on a different computer.  I bought a USB connector and power cord to run the hard drive and saved what I could.  Then when I put it back into the original box it gives me the fault.  If I F12 it I can get into BIOS but I can't find anything that lets me turn off the self check.  If I hook the drive back up to my laptop I can access it.

I'd scrap it and replace it but it is one of those with the expensive RAMBUS memory that I ugraded a couple of years ago to the tune of $500+ for to sticks.

14.4K Posts

March 15th, 2009 09:00

IF you can hook it up to the laptop then do that and run virus/spy/malware scans and see how that goes.

IF you want to try and save the files on the drive I would suggest after you scan it that you put it back in the desktop, get your windows disk and try doing a Repair Reinstall. This is a more vigious attempt at trying to repair the installation with out the loss of your files or data

No Events found!