Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 29th, 2017 13:00

Hard drive swap question

I just bought a new Dell Regular Desktop for my father, Core i3 processor with Windows 10, 1 TB hard drive, 8GB memory.

I own a Dell Small Desktop with Core i3 processor, Windows 7, 2 TB hard drive , 6GB memory that I bought in late 2012. They are both 64-bit machines.

I know my father is going to hate this CD drive on the new computer that makes you snap the CD in place. He uses the drive all the time. My 2012 computer has the tray type that he is used to.

I have this brilliant idea to just swap the hard drives and give him my 2012 computer and me keep the new one. I've replaced hard drives many times, but is this swap as easy it sounds or am I asking for trouble somewhere with size, connections, settings, BIOS, etc. ??

Thanks.

Gary

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 29th, 2017 14:00

I just bought a new Dell Regular Desktop for my father, Core i3 processor with Windows 10, 1 TB hard drive, 8GB memory.

I own a Dell Small Desktop with Core i3 processor, Windows 7, 2 TB hard drive , 6GB memory that I bought in late 2012. They are both 64-bit machines.

I know my father is going to hate this CD drive on the new computer that makes you snap the CD in place. He uses the drive all the time. My 2012 computer has the tray type that he is used to.

I have this brilliant idea to just swap the hard drives and give him my 2012 computer and me keep the new one. I've replaced hard drives many times, but is this swap as easy it sounds or am I asking for trouble somewhere with size, connections, settings, BIOS, etc. ??

Thanks.

Gary

ravens515

Gary,

You cannot swap the hard drives as you have posted and expect this to work, the differences between the two systems, is too great.

Bev.

No Events found!