Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2011 19:00

Has anybody done dual video cards in a Optiplex 990 desktop?

I was wondering if anybody has done the dual video card option on the 990.  Basically I am trying to get the most bang for my buck out of the video card options for the 990 but wasn't sure what the best option would be for speed without worrying about overheating in that small case.  The dual Radeon AMD 1GB HD6450 low profile cards are listed as a build option.  Not sure if those cards are worth it when compared to others out there however.

Any help would be appreciated.  :emotion-2:

1.5K Posts

June 16th, 2011 19:00

I will assume you are talking about the small form factor case.  The HD 6450 is a low-end card, but there is just not much you can do anyway with this particular system and their very small power supplies.  The SFF only has a 240 watt unit.  If you really need graphics power, you should be looking for something other than the Optiplex 990.  The HD 6450 is only around $50 per card at retail and the upgrade cost is $199 so you are paying twice as much as you should versus getting them on your own.  Having dual cards really won't speed up your system.  

No Events found!