Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2012 14:00

Has anyone successfully used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD on an XPS 8500

My new machine will be here Friday, and I am planning on moving my Samsung 830 to the machine and migrating the OS from the included HD.  Has anyone done this?  Is it going to be possible?

4 Posts

November 28th, 2012 10:00

Bear in mind that Paragon products are not currently compatible with Windows 8.

OK, I found that Paragon Drive Copy Pro 12 does do it.  It worked great, and aligned the drive properly.  Samsung's Magician software doesn't yet work on Windows 8, though.  I manually configured what I could to optimize the SSD.  The machine is blazing fast now (of course, it wasn't too shabby before the upgrade).

Thanks to all of the responses.

21 Posts

November 20th, 2012 18:00

I chose to reinstall the OS on the SSD because the SSD is much faster and doing a complete system reinstallation is I/O intensive. You should change hard disk interface from IDE mode to AHCI, before the installation. As you know that SSD need AHCI mode for faster performance. Besides, I have used a freeware--Aomei Partition Assistant home that have "migrate OS to SSD" feature. Maybe you could try it before you pay about $19 to Paragon. It can not be better if the freeware could achieve your goal without hiccup.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2012 07:00

Some of the samsung drives include cloning software.  Cloning software DOES NOT prep for SSD use.

There are "sETTINGS" that need to be tweaked.  INTEL SSD and some of the samsung 8XX series have tuning software for this purpose.

105 Posts

November 21st, 2012 08:00

Bear in mind that Paragon products are not currently compatible with Windows 8.

1 Message

December 6th, 2012 17:00

FYI:  The latest Aomei Partition Assistant home 5.1 "migrate OS to SSD" does not support the newer GPT partitioning which came on my new XPS 8500 Windows 8 machine.

No Events found!