Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2009 09:00

Has my 8800GT Died on me? - BSOD, Vertical Lines on BIOS and Windows Startup & Driver isn't playing ball

Hi there thanks for looking.
I have a dell xps 420 (vista) with Q6600 3gb ram, 8800gt video card, 375w PSU

I left my computer on as i normally would 3 days ago and came back up switched the monitor on and there was nothing on the screen yet the 420 was still running.

Did a restart and noticed dashes and dots on the BIOS screen and windows starup screen and got the BSOD - see images

tried all the different settings i got when i restarted but all i could do was go into safe mode.

Everything seemed fine in device manager so did another restart and got the same BSOD, so back into safe mode deleted the driver for the 8800GT in device manager, programs & features and using driver sweeper as stated on this forum and reinstalled:

a) the dell factory driver
b) the updated dell factory driver
c)the nvidia most up to date driver

all 3 that i tried still gave me the BSOD

The only way i could access windows (not safe mode) was by uninstalling the 8800gt driver.

Once loaded into windows i don't get the vertical lines and dots but obviusly my resultion isn't right because of the driver.  Tried installing driver from here and still get the same problem.

So basically any 8800 GT driver i install gives me the BSOD - does this mean my video card has had it?

Its 2 months out of warranty too which is a bit of a bummer.

Would love to hear any suggestions as to what else i can try or if you just think the card's 'a gonna' and if this is the case then what do you think my chances are for a replacement from dell?

Tried all the trouble shooting on the dells website too (resitting card , cleaning dust etc)

Thanks for reading and sorry its so long.  Just hope someone can help me,

1 Message

June 29th, 2009 01:00

Hi all,

I have the same problem as you, my 8800GT shows same lines now and i have no clue how to fix it. Unluckily my system warranty just expired. So any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

4 Posts

June 29th, 2009 05:00

Wow someone who's expereienced it too, i was beginning to think I was the only one!

Anyways,

I contacted dell through email and asked for it to be replaced.  I got the normal email back stating its out of warranty.  However a few emails later the dell rep agreed to replace my gfx card for a refurb....after stating that £650 piece of equipment should last me a reasonable amount of time before it fails.

Within a week i had swapped my gfx card and given a  refurb (this obviously looked really badly scratched up and probably used by a hardcore gamer before...great!) but it works and still does to this day.  I think they die due to insufficient cooling, as i know my one runs extrememly hot and thats not even gaming, just genral graphics work.

So best bet is to contact dell and push your rights as a customer that such a expensive computer shouldnt fail just over a year into purchasing it regardless of warranty status!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 29th, 2009 08:00

Overheating cuz the fan is failing can do that.  Oiling the fan delays but does not resolve the issue.

August 8th, 2009 15:00

here's another article talking about the issue:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1038400/nvidia-g92s-g94-reportedly-failing

here are some key selections:

"Due to Nvidia not clearly explaining the details of the faults reported in its notebook GPUs, some channel vendors have demanded graphics card makers issue a recall for desktop-based discrete graphics cards using the same GPU core, according to sources at graphics card makers."...

First is that Dell is replacing full laptops over this, contrary to what they claim (read the comments here and here for more).

A little digging revealed what this, and more, is all about, and it's far uglier than just the 'notebook' version. It seems that four board partners are seeing G92 and G94 chips going bad in the field at high rates...Well, the G92 chip is used in the 8800GT, 8800GTS, 8800GS, several mobile flavours of 8800, most of the 9800 suffixes, and a few 9600 variants just to confuse buyers. 

here's another article: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1010836/apple-knowledgebase-g92s-defective

Our video card is a lemon and Dell and Nvidia and some others are trying to deny it and hide it

August 8th, 2009 15:00

I have the exact same issue with my 8800gt.  The problem is the card is a lemon; it has to do with the soldering.  (see articles: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1028703/nvidia-g84-g86-bad   http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1045751/nvidia-55nm-parts-bad, on the 2nd article this is in the 3rd paragraph from the bottom " We are hearing of early failure rates in the teens per cent for 8800GTs and far higher for 9600GTs, so this is not a quibble over split hairs.")

basically Nvidia doesn't seem to be admitting the problem, and dell won't either.  Our only hope is that everyone who has the issue calls in, speaks to as many representatives and as many supervisors as possible and demands a replacement.  until then Dell refuses to change their stance on "your warrenty expires so we don't care about you."

To the guy or girl who said Dell replaced your card after the warrenty expired.  Please give any information you can that would help the rest of us verify that claim to Dell.  As it stands right now, no one I spoke to believes you actually recieved a replacement and they think you're just lying on the forums.  If you can post any information as to who it was who helped you, maybe the date it occured, a copy of the e-mail.  If you want you can e-mail it to me at  I really want this video card replaced

<ADMIN NOTE:Email Id removed per privacy policy>

August 8th, 2009 16:00

In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within three years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty. (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377)

It's good to see some companies are doing something for their customers.  I would like to see a Dell-led investigation that determines that they gave us a faulty video card.

1 Message

October 15th, 2009 00:00

I'll add myself to this list. I have xps 720 running 8800gt SLI. 

Two nights ago I started getting blue screens whenever an SLI profile was loaded.

I troublehooted the problem down to only running a single card setup. One card worked fine. The 2nd card bsod's as soon as windows loads.

1 Message

November 17th, 2009 08:00

Hello Every one,

Well it seems i am having similar issues with my cards as well i have 630i with 2 8800gt SLI and on sunday while playing WOW I got the BSOD and on restart all of my icons were super big and had lines all over the place. I couldn't access Nvidia control panel and the cards had a code 43. I called dell the did some drivers up date and nothing worked so then they asked me to reseat one fo the cards and all was fine until last night the screen started to act up again randomly and get the lines again but no codes yet. I checked precision and it said the cards were runing at 53c while playing wow but i hadd the fans turned up to 80% to keep them there. so i will be caling dell again tonight to try and fix this problem or like you are saying i probly need them replaced as well.( the comp just over a year old still under warranty)

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 15:00

Identical problem,my xps 420 is 20 month old,Icalled Dell,they claim THAT IS MY FAULT,anybody knows a good replacement for a 150$?Thanks

3 Posts

December 31st, 2009 17:00

So as far as good replacements... any thoughts on the 250 GTS, 9800 GTX+, ATI HD 4870, and the 260 GTX 216?  Those are the 4 that seem to have good bang for buck right now, but the price range is fairly broad and I only play HL2 (Team Fortress) and UT.

3 Posts

December 31st, 2009 17:00

Same thing happened to me... only bought this machine 21 months ago.  I am on the phone now with dell.  And the answer is.... we know there are issues with this card, but there is no recall so you will have to purchase a replacement card or buy a new machine.

Lovely... 21 months of light gaming on Team Fortress2 and Unreal Tournament and it's toast.  Thank you Dell.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2010 11:00

I just got a new 9500GT for 60 dolars from Tiger Direct installed by them in 15 min.works perfectly with my GTA,Lou

32 Posts

February 9th, 2011 07:00

This has just also happened on my Dell Xps420, ie i get  l l l ---- all over the screen.

It also the Nvidia 8800gt card

Seems we have all been dealt a bum deal with this card.

My Pc is 25 months old

Is no-one from Dell reading this and responding to it?

27 Posts

January 4th, 2012 06:00

same here ...xps 420 30 month old ...failed 8800 gt  .......Ive seen the utubes about cooking (not for me) ...but I would rather get an upgrade

4 Posts

January 4th, 2012 06:00

Wow first time i got a email to say the threads been replied to and i am shocked other people are experiencing this still 3 years down the line and no dell rep has anything to say on it.

There is definitely a problem with these cards that dell are not admitting to.  

The only info i can give is to use your rights as a customer which i posted all those years ago.

"A piece of equipment should last me a reasonable amount of time before it fails."

For people in the UK there is a law:

The sales of goods act 1979.

It specifically states that if you buy goods from a trader, the Sale of Goods Act says they must be:

Of satisfactory quality - the product you buy should be reasonably reliable.

Fit for purpose - it should perform the function you bought it to do.

As described - it should be exactly what the trader told you it was.

Google the sales of goods act 1979 and try and email or phone someone who is the manager of customer services.

After paying so much for dell machines I personally think they should at least last me 5-6 years before anything fails.

So best bet is to contact dell and push your rights as a customer.

No Events found!