Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2008 16:00

Haupptage TV Tuner w/ XPS 420 & Customer Support Rant

I looked around the Dell website and couldn't find a version of the Haupptage TV tuner for the XPS 420 that didn't come with a Media Center remote... But apparently mine does not.  At least that is what Dell Customer Support told me.

The box that was supposed to have the remote in it had a second USB mouse instead.  At least, that's where the USB/IR sensor set up was... so I ASSUME that is where the remote was supposed to be.  Does anyone know of any TV Tuner that Dell offers for XPS machines that DON'T come with remotes?  Or am I just nuts?

For fun. here is a quick rundown of the hour-long conversation I had on Friday with Customer Support.

Person #1 (Indian accent):  May I have your service tag?  Thank you, what's the problem?  Did you look in the box?  Let me transfer you to customer support.  Please remember this number.  *on hold*

Person #2 (Indian accent):  May I have your service tag?  Thank you, what's the problem?  Did you look in the box?  Let me transfer you to customer support.  Please remember this number.  *on hold*

Person #3 (Indian accent):  May I have your service tag?  Thank you, what's the problem?  Did you look in the box?  Let me transfer you to customer support.  Please remember this number.  *on hold*

etc... 

Person #6 (Indian accent):  May I have your service tag?  Thank you, what's the problem?  Did you look in the box?  Let me transfer you to customer support.  *short rant from me*  Let me transfer you to Tech Support.

Person #7 (American):  Oh we're sorry for the inconvenience.  We can see here on your order you were supposed to get a remote.  We're going to send that right out to you.  Can I have your address?  *on hold*

Ummm... we can't actually send that out to you.  Customer Support has to do that.  I'm going to transfer you to Customer Support.  *some begging and pleading from me followed by... you guessed it... being put on hold and being transfered to Customer Support*

Person #8 (Indian accent):  May I have your service tag?  Thank you, what's the problem?  Did you look in the box?  Let me transfer you to customer support.  Please remember this number.

*At that point I was obviously a little upset... and I asked her not to transfer me again... anywhere.  I explained AGAIN the series of events that had preceeded, to which she responded:*

"We can't help you, and we are not going to send you a remote."

I will probably never call Dell Customer Support again.  I sent an e-mail via the website today.  Anyone have better luck that way?

64 Posts

June 24th, 2008 09:00

You should have received a remote control.  Well I did anyway.

14 Posts

June 24th, 2008 20:00

24+ hours later and no word from Dell support online.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 24th, 2008 23:00

hamiltonrj,

Please provide me with the following information in a private message -
Name:
Shipping address:
Phone:
Order number and/or Service tag number:
Reason: Missing remote

14 Posts

September 17th, 2008 15:00

Nope... never got it.  I really just got tired of getting the run-around from (the worst) customer service (I have ever encountered) and gave up.

Never could get a straight answer out of them. 

September 17th, 2008 15:00

@hamiltonrj wrote:

24+ hours later and no word from Dell support online.

hamiltonrj can i ask if you ever got the remote? I have just bought this PC and am awaiting delivery and wondered what to expect or not as the case may be.

14 Posts

September 17th, 2008 16:00

The only luck required is being lucky enough to never again require Dell customer support.  The time, energy, and effort required just ain't worth it.

Funny that all those "awards" Dell likes to mention on their advertisements are customer service awards... and all of them were won before they outsourced.

September 17th, 2008 16:00

I'm not entirely surprised, as every time I call I speak to between 6 & 8 people but am sad to hear it's so endemic.

Best of luck  :)

475 Posts

September 17th, 2008 17:00

All,

Has anyone responded to Dell-Chris_M? He has been able to help a lot where Dell TS and CS goes lobatomy on it's customers!  He reallly cares (and apparently as Moderator) he still works for Dell. Annoying as it may be, exhaust all options before giving up.

As a previous Dell 630i owner, I'd post my thoughts on Dell's tech support where that system is concerned... Nope, I couldn't stay within the TOS for what I'd post.

Sean

P.S. That's a touchy subject with Dell and they are in denial at the moment and probably will be for quite a while based on how long Dell jerked 630i owners on issues.

475 Posts

hamiltonrj wrote:

Funny that all those "awards" Dell likes to mention on their advertisements are customer service awards... and all of them were won before they outsourced.

Yeah, ask Dell when their last Award was... Just for fun!

Sean

14 Posts

I thought that I had, but it looks like I didn't.  Will do it today... hope he's still listening.

475 Posts

September 19th, 2008 17:00

Chris_M will pull through when other Dell channels Dead end you.

Great Job Chris

14 Posts

September 19th, 2008 17:00

Thanks to the outstanding customer support I received from Chris-M, I got my remote in the mail today.  Thanks, Chris.  I owe you one.
No Events found!