Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2015 05:00

Having Overheating Problem in Dell E6400/6500 Laptop - Deborah Ferrari

Hi

My Father purchased E6400 (2.8 CPU, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA) early 2011 and installed Windows XP 64 bit and had a rather smooth 8-9 months: and didn’t have any issues with the machine. But after sometime we have replaced the widow XP into Window 7 professional, everything went good. But suddenly task manager starting to show 100% utilization but not pointing to any specific process.
Problem was not stopped here...

Recently, we have updated the bios to the latest A20 and reinstall  the Windows 7 64 bit and all the drivers available on Dell’s site. But after 10 minutes I sensed laptop was overheating. Very frustrated .

My friends suggest me to contact at Dell Community. Here we are looking for  the solution.

Thank you

Debra Ferrari

1.2K Posts

May 15th, 2015 08:00

Hi ,

I would suggest you to update the system BIOS to version A34 which is the latest version ,click here .Also before updating to A34 would ask you to install the subsequent version (A31 and A33) .

Still if the issue persists then do reply to this post with the service tag of the system ,invoice details sent via private message so that I can assist you with system specific troubleshooting .

I hope this helps.

Have a great day ahead!

Kindest Regards,

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

May 15th, 2015 10:00

You should have posted in the laptop Forum.

TheTask Manager WILL show the more greedy processes. Click the CPU heading to sort the processes by CPU utilization. Have you installed a temperature reading utilit? You need the actual temperatures to decide whether it's overheating or not. Try OpenHardwareMonitor, it's free.

If it's realy overheating, you need to clean out all the dust bunnies by blowing out with a can of electronic compressed gas; this is NOTcompressed air, but a flamable gas, so be careful. Best if you can get into the fan section and blow out the dust. Otherwise blow the gas into the ventilation slots Try to NOT overspin the fan with the gas, as it could be damaged.There are many uTube videos showing how to do this for the E6400.

I doubt installing the latest BIOS will help unless Dell indicates this will decrease temperatures.

There are other reasons for overheating, but cleaning is the simplest and most common reason. 

No Events found!