Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2009 02:00

Help I have no audio now

I suddenly have no audio.

I was cleaning up programs I thought my kids had downloaded and I deleted a thing called Soundmax. It said 'used rarely'. Was that what caused the loss of sound? How can I get my sound back.  I do not want to use autoupdater.exe which every google search seems to send me to. Cannot make sense of the downloads section on this dell site. It does not mention Sound Max. I have a Dell GX260 compact desktop. Hope someone can help. Please respond by email not on this site as its unlikely I will ever be able to find my way back to this forum again. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 5th, 2009 05:00

First, we do not respond by e-mail on this forum (forum protocol).

The SoundMax is a sound device, however the Dell downloads HERE only list an Analog Devices sound driver.   However, download the referenced driver and install that and it should get your sound back.  If that doesn't fix the problem you can try the "System Restore" function and restore the PC to a date PRIOR to uninstalling it.  However, when you do the System Restore the other programs you uninstalled will also be restored and you will have to uninstall them again.  System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.  System Restore will not delete any user data or e-mails.

NEVER use a driver "autoupdater" on a Dell as many Dell's have a lot of proprietary hardware and drivers and MUST ONLY use Dell supplied drivers.  Also, many of those types of offers are actually ways to try and sell you something (usually that you do not need, such as Registry "cleaners" or "repair" programs).

No Events found!