Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2006 04:00

Help if you can

So, I proved my stupidity today and may have accidently killed a friend's speaker system.

This is a Creative SBS 330 speaker system, by the way.

We were changing around some things in her room, and after we finished moving the computer, we were pluggin everything in. Well, her printer happens to have a power supply that looks like the speaker system's power supply. I am not sure of this, but we may have gotten the power supplies switched. Anyway, that is probably not even the problem. What I did that was really stupid was this: The power supply that I attached to the speakers was plugged into a surge strip, and I, nor my friend, realized that the surge strip was on, so I proceeded to plug the power cord into the speakers. Also, the speakers were on at the time because she had been messing with the remote, and she may have turned the dial so the system would be on when power was connected. Anyway, I heard a pop when I plugged it in, but I assumed it was normal, as the speakers were on. So I proceeded to go on with other things, and a few minutes later, my friend noticed a burning smell, and we noticed that smoke was coming out of the hole at the back of the subwoofer. I immediately cut the power, and layed the subwoofer out the other way until the smoke stopped coming from the box. I'm pretty sure I blew something inside, and I might open it up later to see, but am I wrong? Will the system work, or is the only option to buy a new one? It's not that expensive of a system, so I am planning on just buying her a new one, but I don't know.
No Responses!
No Events found!