Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2014 23:00

Help need - Blue screen, installation of Win 7 Crucial M550 SSD 512 gb on XPS 8700 (no hardware issue, linux was fine)

Dear community people,

I have been trying to add the Crucial M550 SSD 512 gb to my almost one year old XPS 8700.

-I have tried two types of drives (same model), first one was the mSATA, second one was the normal 2.5 inch adapted in the 3.5 inch bay. 

-Both cloning (apricorn kit) and clean installation has been performed.

Problems,

First the mSATA, since I didn't get a mSATA adapter so I directly plugged it into the mSATA slot on the motherboard. It was recognized, and I was able to initialize it and did the cloning. After that, in BIOS I saw it was already the AHCI mode so I booted it up. Blue screened, no way to boot into windows 7.

Then I tried a clean installation of win-7 pro sp1, everything cloned on the disk was wiped, installation was successful, and blue screened again when boot.

Then I did a clean installation of Ubuntu 14.04 on this mSATA, everything was running great, awesome speed.

Since I need windows and the drive was in good deal, I decided to get a 2.5 inch version and give it a try. 

Basically the same story, I tried clean installation of Win 7 (cloning was ignored because of time) and I was getting the blue screen again (picture). In BIOS it shows the drive was on AHCI mode. I haven't install the Linux on this one yet, and I would assume it will be fine. 

So could anybody identify the problem and possible solution??

Thanks a million!! 

Yinbo

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 18th, 2014 16:00

See if there's anything useful here or here.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 18th, 2014 16:00

STOP: 0x0000000a
STOP: 0x0000001e
STOP: 0x00000050
These errors are caused by one or more of the following:
  • Hardware failure (memory, processor, or motherboard).
  • Anti-virus software that is running on your computer.
  • Drivers installed by third-party software or malware

To resolve these behaviors, perform one or more of the following:

• Replace the faulty hardware. You may be able to determine the faulty hardware by running diagnostics provided by the manufacturer. Please contact the hardware manufacturer for more information.
  • Disable any anti-virus software that is running on your computer. If the STOP errors no longer occur, contact the anti-virus software manufacturer about a possible upgrade.
  • Disable any third-party drivers that may be running or Nuke the drive to remove malware.

3 Posts

January 15th, 2015 09:00

Hello :

I meet the same error when installing a M550 512gb mSATA SSD on my Latitude E5440.

The new device can be recognized but the bluescreen occured when I format the partition.

The BIOS version is A07 which has been the latest.

Any help is appreciated ! 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 15th, 2015 12:00

There are millions of blue screens.  You will have to be more specific than that. Msata Drives are harder to install that regular drives.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2015 14:00

Also having trouble with both Crucial mSATA (MX200 500 GB) and Crucial SATA (MX100 512GB MU01 and MU02 firmware). The OS transfer to the drive and boots up but shortly after logging on (or just letting it sit there for a minute) a 0x0000001E BSOD occurs. What SSDs work with XPS 8700's??

March 29th, 2015 03:00

Hi All,

I have stumbled upon the same problem after installing M550 SSD to a Panasonic ToughPad. After cloning contents of original hard drive to new one system would blue screen (error code 0x1E) on each boot. Upgrade to Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver was required (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29), but I had to update it without booting onto Windows. This can be done by booting onto Windows Preinstallation Environment from a removable media. You can create your own media by downloading Windows ADK (free download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30652) and following a TechNet guide (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/dd744533%28v=ws.10%29.aspx) to create the image (follow relevant link at the end of the article to create bootable CD or USB media). Once booted into WinPE, use DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool) to replace storage driver with correct one. Follow this article to see how to do it in more detail: http://slightlyovercomplicated.com/2015/03/28/storage-driver-swap-in-winpe-using-dism/.

It resolved my issue, hope this will help you guys too.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2015 04:00

I had the 0x1E blue screen problem with Crucial MX200 mSATA and MX100 SATA as cloned system drive but also if I booted from the original hard drive with the SSD left installed just as a 2nd drive. It would take a few minutes but eventually there would be a BSOD.

I hope your solution works for people with this problem; thanks for posting it. In my case, I returned the Dell XPS 8700 so I can't test it but its good to know there is a possible solution.

Before the XPS 8700 I had used an MX100 SATA as a system drive in a ThinkCentre M83 and no blue screens but it did seem to need updates to both the PC's BIOS and the SSD's firmware to stop an intermittant performance problem it had.

No Events found!