Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2010 19:00

Help needed playing blu ray discs

I've been having a very difficult time playing blu ray discs from the Avatar Extended Edition set.  I was eventally able to get the first disc to play but I cannot get the second or thirds discs to play.  I get a brief message saying Prohibited in the upper right corner of the screen.

I'm using PowerDVD DX on a DELL computer with a Phillips blu ray drive.  Other discs play fine.  Any help with how to view these discs would be appreciated.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 28th, 2010 13:00

It might be due to copy protections that your PDVD version is not compatible with.

Do you have the latest version of PowerDVD? Also, you can try installing the trial version of AnyDVD-HD from Slysoft. If your problem goes away after you install it, you've found your problem.

39 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 13:00

I forgot I posted this.  It would be nice if the forums notified people of replies.

It's the updated version of PowerDVD that shipped with my computer.  I tried a trial version of ArcSoft's Total Media Player 5 and it plays the discs but crashes often and won't play the Blu Ray Live content.  At $100, it would be nicer if I could use the software I paid for with my DELL purchase.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 4th, 2010 01:00

Sometimes it helps to reinstall the video driver. My HTPC is an old Athlon64 3400+ with a 4650 video card, and while DVDs played fine, Blu-rays did not. (They were in slow motion and had no audio.) I downloaded and installed the latest ATI Catalyst package, and all was fine.

21 Posts

December 12th, 2010 09:00

Did you get this fixed?  How did you get the first disc to play?

December 12th, 2010 10:00

Powerdvd stoppoed playing blueray movies suddenly. I'm on Win7 64 bit. Brand new Studio XPS 8100

I haven't insytalled anything except for windows updates.

Please help!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 12th, 2010 11:00

I had trouble with PowerDVD, which is why I switched to Arcsoft. (The newest version of TMT 5 can be had for $65 with an online coupon.)

What's the error message?

December 12th, 2010 11:00

Wow! :-/ Thanks for the quick response! I've been reading around various forums and people seem to really like TMT5. 

I put the BD movie in and the screen just goes dark and sits there. No errors.

I'm kind of upset that I purchased a new system and It seems that the only solution Dell has to is to make their customers purchase more software. As you know, they provide PowerDVD with their new systems and updating the OS breaks the PowerDVD functionality.  This problem isn't isolated. There are so many issues with cyberlink, windows 7 updates and dell support.

I guess I'm gonna have to spend money and buy more software. :-/

Thanks rdunnill!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 12th, 2010 13:00

You could try reinstalling the video card driver -- that often solves my my Blu-ray playback problems. (I have a collection of a dozen PCs which I tinker with.)  

But, I can say from three years of bitter experience that Blu-ray playback can still be very touchy, which may be why Apple has held back from offering it. 

Arcsoft is holding a "Christmas comes early" sale; use coupon code XMAS2010 at checkout. and you can get the full version of TMT 5 for $65.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 17th, 2012 20:00

I bought a dell system too watch Blue Ray movies and it will not play them...they should not sell the system if it doesn't work.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 19th, 2012 19:00

You might try downloading and installing the trial version of Total Media Theater. If it enables playback, the bundled OEM software is the issue.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2012 07:00

You are right the  hardware tested out fine. Downloading trial version allowed viewing.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 20th, 2012 19:00

If you wish, there are numerous Arcsoft coupon codes available for TMT that can reduce the price to about $65.

Blu-ray playback requires constant updates, so it's best to start with a current version that the vendor will update. OEM versions of PowerDVD tend to be two or three back, and Cyberlink stops providing updates after three versions.

No Events found!