Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2013 21:00

Help on power situation

My Optiplex 960 was running fine and I was installing a printer when there was a loud pop sound and the computer shut down. It will not do anything with the front power button. I can use the button on the back of the power supply and it will flash the. 1 light then The 3 4 light and the button power button will turn blue however it will not boot. It have removed the memory cards and reinstalled them one at a time and have also remove the graphics card. All to know avail. Do you think the mother board is shot or the power supply. I'm not a techie so dumb it down for me if you can.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

April 25th, 2013 22:00

Hi dtrott,

To isolate the issue, remove the memory modules from the computer and then try to power on the computer.

Check if you get to hear any beep?

If 3 and 4 diagnostics LED’s are lit which indicates memory failure.

http://dell.to/11IF2oz

From the above link click  Manual and Documentation and Service manual to access memory reseat/remove section.

Before Opening the chassis, I recommend you press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power.

Note: Remove the memory if you are comfortable in doing so.

** NOTE: Please ensure that the power cable of the computer is disconnected before opening the chassis. Refer to the Service Manual for assistance on removing or replacing the internal components of the computer.

Awaiting your response!

11 Posts

April 25th, 2013 22:00

It's a SFF 235 watt supply. H235P-00 supply

11 Posts

April 26th, 2013 07:00

I don't mean to get ahead of you or myself, but  since the unit will not turn on from using the power button on the front of the unit, I am speculating it must be the power supply,

Assuming the power button on the front of the unit is operating correctly and completing the circuit,  it would seem to me that whatever it "latching" the circuitry in the power supply to keep it on and distribute the different voltages to the different   systems on the board my have "fried" and possibly not be supplying the correct or any voltage to some of the systems.

Pure speculation on my part.   I'll be quite now and follow your instructions.....

11 Posts

April 26th, 2013 07:00

Ok, I removed the memory sticks.

When I plug in the power cord to the back of the unit,  an led lights on the opposite side of the mobo from the power supply.

When I press the start button on the front of the unit, nothing happens.

I have to press the button on the back of the unit to get it to turn on. When I do, the 1, 3 and 4 light briefly (maybe a half a second) and the light on the power button turns blue. Then the unit begins to beep,  the 1 light comes on and stays on and the power button is solid blue.

11 Posts

April 27th, 2013 21:00

Any suggestions?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 27th, 2013 21:00

It's not uncommon for power supplies to fail.

11 Posts

April 28th, 2013 01:00

Is it common for them to fail on one voltage and not another?   It's my understanding this power supply has 3 or 4 different voltages it produces for the various systems.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

April 30th, 2013 05:00

Hi dtrott,

Solid blue light on the Power supply indicates the power supply is working as designed.

Let’s by pass the front I/O panel and isolate the Power button.

Ensure Power cable is disconnected from the tower.

Open the tower and disconnect the Power button cable from the motherboard end.

Now remove the CMOS battery.

Connect the Power cable to the tower and the computer should start by itself. If the computer starts by itself, the issue is with the Power button.

Also, Disconnect all the memory cards and external cards on the motherboard, ensure just the motherboard, processor Power supply are intact, Now try to power on the computer and let me know the status of Power button.

We need to remove the cards on the motherboard and disconnect the cables and then try placing them back one by one and power on the computer.

http://dell.to/11UfuVF

From the above link click   Manual and Documentation and Service manual to access reseat/remove section.

Before opening the chassis, disconnect the Power cable, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power

** NOTE: Please ensure that the power cable of the computer is disconnected before opening the chassis. Refer to the Service Manual for assistance on removing or replacing the internal components of the computer.

**NOTE: Replace/reseat the parts if you are comfortable in doing so.

Awaiting your response!

11 Posts

May 1st, 2013 22:00

Ok, I did as instructed. Removed the ribbon on the motherboard that goes to the front panel and removed the coin battery.

I plugged it in and it ran for approximately 3 seconds and then shut off. I pushed the button on the power supply and it started up but was slow on the first screen that appears when power is supplied, then another screen came up.

Here is a picture of the screen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/dtrott/image_zpsa99d191e.jpg

I removed the power cable and replaced the coin battery and stated it again and the same screen came up.

The first time I got the screen, the keyboard was not attached, but the second time the keyboard was plugged in to the USB port.

The keyboard is not operating. The lights flash when power is supplied, but after it gets to the screen in the picture, it does nothing.

Power supply, motherboard, or other problems??????

11 Posts

May 1st, 2013 23:00

Update:

I replaced the cable to the front panel and pushed the power button and it came on and booted to the windows log on screen. However the USB key board is not operating, nor is the Bluetooth mouse as it connects through a USB powered transmitter.

I pushed the power button and the unit shut down. I waited a few minutes and pushed it again and nothing. I had to use the button in the rear of the machine to restart it. This time instead of a black screen it was totally red, but it booted to windows but the graphics were terrible. I had to unplug the power supply to shut it down. I reseated the graphics card and the connector  to  the monitor and tried to start it from the power button, but no. I had to use the reset button on the back.

It started and again booted to the windows logo on screen but the USB keyboard and the mouse would not work.

Unplugged it and tried the front button again and it started. Same thing. No keyboard or mouse.

Turned it off and tried to start it from the front power button, but no. Had to use the button in the back.

It seems all the USB ports are dead.

Anybody have a guess?

11 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 00:00

Anyone?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hi dtrott,

I regret for the delay in response.

Please help me understand what you meant by “Replaced the cable to the front panel”.

Are you trying to connect the keyboard and mouse to the front USB ports?

There is a possibility while bypassing the front Power button panel, USB cable was disconnected.

Awaiting your response!

11 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 06:00

In one of the above post it was suggested to remove the cable that runs from the mother board to the power switch in the front of the computer and also remove the battery then plug the power cord in and was told it should start.  

I removed the ribbon cable off of the mother board  and removed the battery, it then started by using the power button on the rear of the power supply but only to the picture that I posted in a earlier post.

I then replaced the ribbon cable to the power button and replaced the battery, restarted  and it booted to the windows log on screen, but the mouse and the keyboard are not working. They are plugged into a USB port on the back of the machine. I have tried all the USB ports, front and rear. They are all dead. No power to any of them.

Last night I found a PS2 to USB adapter and tried using the PS2 port to power the mouse, but it is dead as well.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

May 6th, 2013 06:00

Hi dtrott,

Check if the keyboard works in BIOS. Restart the computer and tap F2 on Dell logo and try using the keyboard.

If the keyboard doesnot work in BIOS as well, kindly private message the service tag.

To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

Awaiting your response!

11 Posts

May 18th, 2013 21:00

Although I like the 960, as it was lighting fast and being the SFF it suited the space I had, I have decide just can it.

I used the memory in it in a 8400 I put together to controller a CNC machine.

If any one needs parts let me know And if you pay shipping they are ours, NC

No Events found!