Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2004 20:00

Hit the Del Key.......

Hi,

I have this Dell 4100 running WinME.  On bootup, the first item is Dell logo, then this page....(prior to windows beginning), identifying  PC data.

"Dell Dimension 4100; BIOS ver A11, Processor info; RAM info; KeyBoard detected; Mouse detected; USB enabled; Fixed Disk - Maxtor," etc.  After all of it is listed, appearing vertically down the page, then at the bottom this appears:

Press (Del) to Resume.........

So no matter what, an hour, a day, week, etc., if you don't press the Delete key...that's as far as bootup goes and windows never begins to load.  Once I press the del key, then windows comes on.  Somehow, somewhere, either in BIOS or is it DOS, something has set this page up and  stops the flow of the bootup process unless you hit the DEL key.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

251 Posts

I'm guessing this problem just started happening? Could this be the hard disk SMART error report? When your HD generates a SMART error, BIOS pauses so you can see the error, but it isn't visible. Checking your HD's SMART status may give you the answer.

267 Posts

I'm not too familiar with dimensions as this is the optiplex system, but sounds like a setting in bios is turned on for thorough testing out the quick boot is turned off. I would hit f2 when it's displaying all that and go into the setup and set it back to defaults by hitting alt-f, then hit escape and tell it to save the changes.

267 Posts

January 21st, 2004 21:00

Well I don't see why those would require you to hit the delete key but try it with quick boot disabled. I only say this because it is the default. I also would go in and manually tell it to revert everything in the bios to factory defaults.

98 Posts

January 21st, 2004 21:00

Evening,

Duhhh... This procedure has always been there, so it's not a recent thing.  Couple years now etc.  By the way, in an eariler post of mine in this forum, with respect to the  BIOS, you had made note that possibly I needed to update/flash my BIOS.  I was using A05 and I did flash it to A11.  Worked just fine.  Naturally it didn't effect the Del Key problem.  On the SMART issue, is there a method to checking this out?  typing something in the Run Cell...?  Thanks. 

Jwark... In the BIOS, both quiet and quick boot are enabled.  Will take another look and check out all items in there.  I appreciate your input here on this.  Regards

251 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 14:00

It really sounds like the system is trying to tell you about an error, but the error message isn't on the screen. Does the 4100 have an event log in BIOS that you can view? That might tell you something. Running Dell Diags might also find something.

251 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 19:00

I just saw a similar post in the Dimension forum. The 4100 has diagnostic LEDs on the back. What do yours say?

98 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 21:00

Duhhh, just looked at the back and the A B C D four LED lights are all GREEN.  I've been Scan Disking and Defragging the 4100, and got that finished OK.  Haven't had a chance to check any logs for errors.  I'll take a look at the new DIM post.  Thanks D.

98 Posts

Duhhh, On reboot, while it's waiting for the DEL key, the LEDs are showing Y G G Y.  Where does one go to find out the readings for those items.  Thanks!

98 Posts

Jwark.  I disabled Quick Start and tried it...the only noticeable difference in doing this was, with Quick Start disabled, it counted through a memory span and then I had to click on DEL.    I'm not sure I want to reset the BIOS back to factory install...I just flashed the BIOS to a newer version...wouldn't that then take me back to the AO5 version?  There's been no changes done to the BIOS that would interfer with it's operation...it's in good shape.  Regards

98 Posts

Duhhh,  how in the world did my Dimension 4100 BIOS post get here in the Optiplex BIOS?  I could have taken an oath I was in Dimension when I posted that.  Guess I was having a senior moment.  After reading the other post, I'm going to shutdown the 4100 and reboot.  Then before I hit the DEL key, I'm going to again crawl under the desk and look at the back , while it's waiting on the DEL key.  See what those lights are indicating then!  Will get back because I noted he was seeing YGYY.  Later...

98 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 00:00

Duhhh, never mind...I found the location for reading the codes in another forum post couple of years back.  The Y G G Y implies IDE Bus Failure...to reseat my IDE cable.  Thanks a bunch.  Regards

98 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 00:00

Duhhh, never mind...find found the location for reading the codes in another forum post couple of years ago.  The Y G G Y implies IDE Bus Failure...to reseat my IDE cable.  Thanks a bunch.  Regards

No Events found!