Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2008 10:00

How Expandable is RAM on E510?

Hi,

I currently have an E510 w/ 1GB of RAM and would like to upgrade.  Based on my service tag, Dell says that my system can accomodate up to 4GB and that it has 4 slots.  Does this imply that each slot can only accomodate 1GB each?  What's the best configuration if I want to get to 4GB?

Thanks,

Ben

799 Posts

December 24th, 2008 10:00

I currently have an E510 w/ 1GB of RAM and would like to upgrade.  Based on my service tag, Dell says that my system can accomodate up to 4GB and that it has 4 slots.  Does this imply that each slot can only accomodate 1GB each?  What's the best configuration if I want to get to 4GB?

Hello bens0472, It would appear that it would, but Dell's manuals are not always accurate.

I would go to a memory vendor web site, such as Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, and/or others, and run their memory congifurator for your system. They will tell you what memory your system will support.

I would check several of the sites, since they are not always accurate, just as Dell.

Your system probably will support 4X1 GB modules, but you also need to know what speed of the memory.

It is also not advised to mix memory, since many of the memory timings are different.

I would remove the 1 GB module, and purchase 4x1 GB modules of the same manufacturer and model, since memory is cheap now.

Hope this helps.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 24th, 2008 13:00

Hi,

Thanks,

Ben

You have a XP 32bit system, this does not recognize 4gb of memory.

3gb± is all a 32bit system can address.  Basically what it means is, while you can install 4gb of memory in your system, the reason it’s not recognized is mainly due to 32-bit processors & 32-bit applications on memory address limitations.

64-bit processors & operating systems will recognize beyond the 32-bit limitation.

See HERE

Bev.

3.4K Posts

December 25th, 2008 08:00

I currently have an E510 w/ 1GB of RAM and would like to upgrade.  Based on my service tag, Dell says that my system can accommodate up to 4GB and that it has 4 slots.  Does this imply that each slot can only accommodate 1GB each?  What's the best configuration if I want to get to 4GB?

Hello,

Dell does not update the system specs once they at put to print.

Your E510 can support up to 2GB chips in each of its four slots for a memory max of 8GB. The majority of Windows users have 32bit versions of Windows installed. All 32bit operating systems (Windows) have a 4GB max memory limit, with about 3.5GB being seen and used by Windows, depending on the Video system the computer uses. The 64bit OS can support much more memory, but compatibility for current software is lacking at this time.

You E510 has the ability to use memory in 'Dual Channel Mode'. Dual channel mode allows the system to use the memory at about twice the data transfer rate than without it. For Dual channel mode to work, the RAM chips must be installed in "matched pairs". And matched requires the same part numbers to be used for both chips.

I would suggest, two 2GB chips of the correct memory with the same part numbers for best performance.

A huge 'Gotcha' for Dell as well as other OEM computers is that any memory used for upgrades, must be model specific part numbers. That is, each RAM part number must be approved and listed by the memory maker for the specific system model number or the upgrade will fail. You can read why this is as well as other important information at the memory pages of my web site.

No Events found!