Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2016 23:00

How do I change the dedicated graphics/System memory on a Dell XPS 8300

I want to upgrade to an XFX RX 460 (RX460P4DDGR). The minimum requirement of "System Memory", is 4gb. I understand that System Memory, and Installed Memory, are two different things... and it would appear that the PCIe/Display Adapter has at least 2gb (possibly 3gb), but I don't know exactly how much.

I have read that you need to access the BIOS/Chipset Menu in order to make the necessary changes, but I am not clear on how to do so. I have tried a variety of the "F" keys prior to "full Boot", but I am only \able to access "Boot/Boot Related" Menus... nothing that pertains to "Advanced Features". 

I have also read, that Dell has a few tricks that need to be performed, instead of the "Usual "F" Nonsense"... but I have not had any luck. I am currently using the following system:

Dell XPS 8300

Intel i5 2320 CPU

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OS (Fresh Install)

AMD/XFX Radeon HD 6770 1gb GDDR5

Toshiba/OCZ Trion 960gb SSD

16gb PNY XLR8 DDR3 (Installed)

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 29th, 2016 18:00

Hi Adam,

The video card AMD Radeon™ RX 460 has dedicated memory installed on it. To install the video card on the system we do not check for memory requirements on the computer. The video card is compatible for your system.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 31st, 2016 05:00

Dedicated Memory for video is ON the Graphics card.  This cannot be changed and has never been changed in BIOS.  30 years or more ago with MSDOS the SHARED SYSTEM Ram could be adjusted.

This however is not the case anymore with modern processors.

The memory controller on Core I3 I5 I7 systems is part of the processor and not changeable in bios in regards to INTEL HD Graphics.

Only Ancient Intel Graphics Chipsets with AGP had memory adjustments for Shared System ram in regard to Graphics.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2016 09:00

Unfortunately... it is not. Although the card powers up, and the fans both spin, there is no display on the monitor. The slot works, as it reads both the original, and the Upgrade (HD 6770), but the RX 460 specifies a minimum of 4gb  System Memory as a requirement.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 4th, 2016 10:00

There are no bios settings that will change the amount of system memory and haven't been for over a decade.  The amount of system ram is not related whatsoever to the inability to use the card or see anything in F2 cmos setup.

The RX460 does not support DOS VESA Video mode 103 and therefore will not ever work.  Owners of Dell precision 690 systems with 1000W power supplies are unable to get cards that have UEFI bios to work with CSM Phoenix bios that has menus in DOS VESA mode 103.  Various Vendors with Class 2.3.1 bios do not support non secure boot/Non windows 8/10 motherboards.

798 Posts

November 4th, 2016 16:00

It's not a system memory issue.  The problem with that XFX card is likely a video bios issue and it not being compatible with the XPS 8500 motherboard bios.   It is a known problem with quite a few graphics cards.  

More info here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19474677

There are directions towards the end of that thread on how to uninstall any potential bad drivers on your machine using DDU.  Keep the onboard drivers, just delete the AMD drivers. Once you've done that, boot the machine using onboard graphics with the installed XFX card.   It will boot to the desktop.  If the XFX GPU is recognized, then you are okay.  If not, check the XFX website for any firmware/vbios updates.  Since the other two GPU's work fine, your machine and system memory is not the issue.

No Events found!