Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2014 04:00

How do I order recovery disks?

My hard drive crashed and had to be replaced so I do not have a recovery partition.  How do I order recovery disks from Dell?

1 Message

April 25th, 2014 23:00

I just dealt with this today. If you bought your Dell at a retailer like Best Buy (I did), the Service Tags are already registered...to Best Buy! You have to request a transfer of ownership to you, which is just silly. Can yuo imagine if you had to do this for all of your purchases? All of my bread would be registered to Safeway unless I requested ownership of each slice.

Anyway, once you request ownership from the store you purchased your computer at, you should be able to request the disks. Catch: That's handled by the warranty department, which is not open 24 hours. I have to wait until tomorrow to see if this works or not--this after being transferred 3 times during my call and having to convince my service rep that yes, I did actually have a writable DVD drive in my machine. >:|

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 06:00

Hi CakeHead:

Go here to order discs <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> if you are in the US. Otherwise, call customer service.

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 07:00

The actual message I receive is:

Registration Complete

This PC has already been registered. If you need to update your information, please use the Ownership Transfer Form located at http://www.dell.com/support.

I don't need to do an Ownership Transfer Form, I just want to order recovery disks.

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 07:00

When I try to click the link, I put in my Service Tage number and a message comes up and says:

" Retail Tag detected. Please click here to proceed towards Registration."

It sends me to the product registration section of the website and then tells me that the product is already registered.  I don't see an option to order backup media.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 10:00

They will send discs only to the registered owner. You will need to transfer the ownership or you could try calling customer service.

1 Message

January 5th, 2014 20:00

OSPREY4 WROTE THE FOLLOWING POST AT 3 JAN 2014 6:04 PM:

They will send discs only to the registered owner.

No kidding.  There's no need to transfer ownership for the registered owner though.  When the Service Tag is put into the media request form, it defaults back to the "Retail Tag Detected" and asks to transfer ownership... I ALREADY own it and I've ALREADY registered it, I just need an install CD because my hard drive died.

If you can't help with that, please refrain from repeating what is ALREADY presented on the screen.

1 Message

January 17th, 2014 12:00

Im having the exact same issue and I need the disks asap because I start school soon and I need to fix my laptop. If someone could please help out Id really appreciate it!!!

10 Posts

February 25th, 2014 18:00

Hmmm. So this is an actual problem other people are having? I just posted my own issue with this request form. I didn't realize this might be a bug until I did a google search for the phrase "Retail Tag detected. Please click here to proceed towards Registration."

Can anyone confirm that this request form actually works? If not, can someone get Dell's attention and have it fixed?

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 26th, 2014 13:00

I can't confirm whether it works as I don't reside in the US or CA and don't have any active warranty.

Does your Dell have Windows 7 or 8.1?

10 Posts

February 26th, 2014 21:00

Does your Dell have Windows 7 or 8.1?

8.1, but I don't think that's the issue. It's also a newly purchased computer (still under warranty). Everything I've seen matches what the above posters have said.

The media request page tells me to register, but I'm already registered. When I try to register (again) it says my PC is already registered (no kidding?). And then that's it. Dead end. Here, I'll illustrate with screencaps.

1. I go to the Recovery Media Request Form, and enter my service tag...

2. The resulting page tells me I need to register before I can request a disc (yellow box below)...

3. I click on the above "click here" to attempt registration. That advances me to this page (below), where I select "US/English"...

4. That selection takes me here, where I (once again) enter my service tag...

5. Which directly results in this page...

... a gigantic dead end/wild goose chase. Again, this is a newly purchased PC. I completed registration for the first time several days ago. I'm obviously in the system, it just refuses to submit my request for backup media. I'm almost to the point where I've wasted enough time on this (trying to do things the proper way) and now feel like just torrenting an .iso and saying "screw it".

18 Posts

February 27th, 2014 11:00

I have an older PC that's out of warranty - I used that initial link, and due to my PC being out of warranty, it gave me a 1-800 number (1-800-822-6031). That's for out-of-warranty dell support, but perhaps if you call that number and ask for the number for in-warranty customer support, they could give it to you. I know it's a tedious work-around, but if no one else here helps you, perhaps it will help.

Once I called that 1-800 number I was able to get a re-installation disk and drivers & utilities disk sent to me FedEx at no charge. They give a one-time shipment at no chrg, then if you lose it you have to pay. Don't know if it's any different for in-warranty PCs, but you should be owed a re-install & drivers& utilities kit for free. Make sure they also send you the drivers & utilities disk along with the OS reinstall disk, as they didn't for me and I had to make them send it again (they sent me only the OS disk for free, then sent me ANOTHER OS disk PLUS the drivers & utilities disk for free again, because they messed up the first time, lol).

Good luck, and keep trying!

10 Posts

February 28th, 2014 18:00

I used that initial link, and due to my PC being out of warranty, it gave me a 1-800 number (1-800-822-6031).

Thanks for the phone number. I ended up (after trying the submission form several days in a row) just getting an online chat rep to send the disc to me (I hope??).

You'd think that the exchange would be pretty simple. Get on the chat, tell them you want the OS disc, and they send it to you. Nah. That's too easy. You have to jump through all kinds of hoops with them, they attempt to dissuade you from requesting the disc, and then they ask all sorts of additional, non-essential information. Finally, you cross your fingers that they actually sent what you asked for.

I've gotten several follow-up emails from the chat rep and none of them specifically state that they'll be sending me the back-up/recovery OS and drivers disc. It's all a bunch of non-descript mumbo jumbo about a "service kit" or something.

If it doesn't arrive, or if it's not the disc I asked for, I'm going to come unglued.

11 Posts

October 9th, 2015 01:00

Dell no longer allows you to order recovery disks they must be made by the user.  There is no other way to get a recovery disk.  Almost every link at the dell site that says click here to order recovery disk yields a page not found error.

The link provided in the post allows you to enter the tag number but then gives an error their sever is not working.

This is further complicated by the fact that windows for no good reason whatsoever will not allow you to make a recovery disk with a flash drive it must be DVDs or an internal or external hard drive.

The reason I was interested in a recovery disk was to see what the price was it might be cheaper than buying an external drive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 9th, 2015 05:00

Windows XP VISTA and 7 are no longer available.  Microsoft took down the Digital River ISO files.

If your Dell device is under warranty, you can request a set of backup and recovery discs containing the factory-installed operating system as well as your device's drivers and utilities.

You can however still find DELL XP/VISTA/ 7 on Ebay.  OEM System Builder copies of Windows 7 are still available.

Windows 8.0 and 8.1 have been pulled from the shelves but there is a media creation tool.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Windows 10 is what is in stores now.

There are Media creation tools for WIN 8 and WIN10.

The WIN10 media creation tool can be used to upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 or to create a USB or DVD and install Windows 10 on a different PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Dell Media Recovery Options and the Request Backup Discs Form

Users in the (US, Canada and UK only) can request a set of backup discs containing the factory-installed operating system as well as the Resource DVD which contains device drivers and utilities specific to the system.  This option is only available if your warranty is still in force.  You can request a warranty extension for systems made within the last 3 years.

• Requests are limited to one (1) set of backup discs per system purchased.
  • The backup discs requested must match the operating system that was factory installed on the original order.

To proceed with requesting these backup discs, continue to the Request Backup Discs form, fill out all the requested information and click Submit. Note that this form is available For (US, Canada and UK only)

If your system is still operational there are several options.

First step would be to get a 128 gig Microcenter usb flash drive.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/411158/128GB_SuperSpeed_USB_30_Flash_Drive_-_Gray

Keep in mind that Flash Drives and SSD's will lose data over a year or less.  The warmer the environment the faster the data is lost.

If you want long term offline storage use an external USB hard Drive.

You can make recovery media with Macrium Reflect or other Free programs.

http://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v6/ReflectDL.exe

• A free disaster recovery solution for your home computer
    • Protect your personal documents, photos, music and emails

Clone your hard disk and create disk images in the safe knowledge that everything is securely saved in an easily recovered backup file

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/download.html

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

No Events found!