Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2010 03:00

How do I replace the Vid Card?

uh oh I opened the case and made it worse?:emotion-16:

I have the Dimension 4550 and it came with the Card, Graphic, 64MB, TI4200 Dimension purchased in 2002

(Main Question)Which Video card can I replace it with? What kind do I have ( AGP PCI PCI EXPRESS ) what power supply do I have and what limitations do I have in replacing the video card?

For the past few months my computer has been making wierd sounds ( fan I think) then last week it started having distorted display junk when I play World of Warcraft.

I replaced the cooling fan for $60 and now I get lock ups and delayed video responce when I play World of Warcraft. I must add that while I had the case opened I got curious and removed the micro-ship and heat sink. The computer wouldnt turn on until I lifted the lever on the microchip and reset it. Then I sprayed the components with the compressed air and I think some of the white frozen stuff got on the video card board and circuits. But remember I was getting distorted video even before I opened the case and before I got curious.

I did the Video card benchmark test and got a 28 and the list shows that my video card range should be around 70.

I am not ready to purchase a brand new system yet unless I have to.

3.7K Posts

March 14th, 2010 04:00

(Main Question)Which Video card can I replace it with? What kind do I have ( AGP PCI PCI EXPRESS ) what power supply do I have and what limitations do I have in replacing the video card?

Hi sefnfot, Your system specks HERE say you have an 4x AGP slot on your mobo for an graphics card, and you have an 250w PSU. So your going to be limited to what card you can get into your system. There is an link to newegg.com where you will find some 4x cards, the choice is not good, given the age of your system.

53 Posts

I am looking at the newegg.com ones. Which spec limits me to my power supply? is it the RAMDAC or CORE CLOCK or Effective Memory Clock?

3.7K Posts

3.7K Posts

March 14th, 2010 05:00

I am looking at the newegg.com ones. Which spec limits me to my power supply? is it the RAMDAC or CORE CLOCK or Effective Memory Clock?

Hi, You wont have to worry about them. The only thing you need to look at is the power needed on the card, to the PSU in your system.

90 Posts

March 14th, 2010 13:00

uh oh I opened the case and made it worse?:emotion-16:

I have the Dimension 4550 and it came with the Card, Graphic, 64MB, TI4200 Dimension purchased in 2002

I replaced the cooling fan for $60 and now I get lock ups and delayed video responce when I play World of Warcraft. I must add that while I had the case opened I got curious and removed the micro-ship and heat sink. The computer wouldnt turn on until I lifted the lever on the microchip and reset it. Then I sprayed the components with the compressed air and I think some of the white frozen stuff got on the video card board and circuits. But remember I was getting distorted video even before I opened the case and before I got curious.

I am not ready to purchase a brand new system yet unless I have to.

You might have made it worse by opening the case, but that is how we learn.  Keep in mind that 8 years is pretty old for a system that you want to game on.  And as you are about to find out, the parts to keep it running get expensive, unless you can find some used ones on ebay or craigslist.  That price for the Dell refurbished Ti-4200 is obscene.  You could buy a brand new computer and video card for that kind of money that would seriously outperform your current system.

If you did remove the heatsink and processor from your motherboard, you really should have cleaned all the old thermal paste off of the processor and heatsink and applied new thermal paste before reinstalling them.  If some of it flaked off, you are not getting the same heat transfer that you were before which could reduce the performance of your CPU.  Also kind of an ouch that you spent $60 replacing the cooling fan.  Was that the cooling fan on the video card itself, or the cooling fan on the heatsink on the CPU?  Either way, kind of high.  You should have been able to find a new video card for that price.  Your 8 year old 250W power supply is your main deterrent in being able to upgrade your video card performance.  Even when your system was new, most decent video cards were recommending 300W power supplies as the minimum.  I also fear that your vintage Dell requires a Dell approved power supply, so you can't just pick up a new ATx power supply and go from there.  Sadly, it may be time to consider a newer system.  It is possible to pick up decent starter systems for around $300 or so that are basically functional, and with a few minor upgrades can be quite decent performers.  (Usually power supply and video card)  If that is out of your budget range, then scour Ebay and Craigslist for low powered cards.  You might consider trying this if you have to have a new card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187045  it is a little behind the performance of you Ti-4200, but numerous posts on newegg indicate it works with the 250W power supply.

The other available cards are either worse performers or require a minimum 300W power supply.   Good Luck.

90 Posts

March 14th, 2010 20:00

It is the same card, but I wouldn't spend $160 for an 8 year old video card.  I would save up an extra $100 or so, and order a new tower like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5390933&CatId=6

Throw in a $40 power supply  like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046

along with a $70 video card like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141114

If you find yourself CPU limited, there are a multitude of Intel CPU's that can boost its' performance further.  But just the tower, PSU and video card should give a significant boost to your current system.  If you want to go with a Dell, there are other upgradeable systems available like the Dell Vostro 220 that start around $300 and get up to $500 or so decently equipped.  But still only have a 300W PSU and limited video card options from Dell.  I just don't think I would put that much more into an 8 year old machine.

No Events found!